Are these palys? Palytoxin?

Scottayy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

Picked up this frag yesterday. Really pretty. Are these zoas or palys? I'm leaning towards palys.

Also, being newish to the hobby, I've heard about palytoxin, and have googled, but there's a lot of conflicting information.

If these are palys, are there hazards to keeping them or is the risk just really so low its almost non existent?

I really only ask because I have a toddler and prioritize her health over my hobby!

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

20220122_124804.jpg

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw those look like utter chaos zoas to me.

Even if they are palys the risk of exposure is low if you put them in the tank and leave them alone.

Most exposure events happen when ppl frag palys and either break their skin (scrape from the rock/plug) while the plays are sliming, or get hit in the eye if they pop one that has closed up.

OP
OP
S

Scottayy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw those look like utter chaos zoas to me.

Even if they are palys the risk of exposure is low if you put them in the tank and leave them alone.

Most exposure events happen when ppl frag palys and either break their skin (scrape from the rock/plug) while the plays are sliming, or get hit in the eye if they pop one that has closed up.
Indeed, the guy (very knowledgeable) said they were utter chaos zoas.

I was just googling and they do look more like a paly description.

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are palys lol 3 types of zoa.... micro,zoa, paly
Very few palys have palytoxin. Micro zoa do and no zoas have it ( I think)
If your worried about palytoxin you should worry about diatoms not coral

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated, as long as you leave them be and don’t bother them too much, zoas and palys are harmless. Generally, the strains you will see most often are harmless, and so captive bred that they’ve lost their toxicity. Something more wild like captain jerk palys is more dangerous. Even then, reactions are usually mild. I’ve messed with my zoas a lot, usually you will get a mild cough and metallic taste in the mouth. It’s important (and one of thousands of reasons) to wear a mask and gloves (and goggles) when messing with coral or other things in the tank.
There are many horror stories, but they are rare and taking all possible precautions will mitigate that. Zoas are too beautiful not to keep!

Back