Are these pH/Alk results correct??

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did some water testing and ran into something I'm not sure about. Tests show a pH of 7.5 and an Alk of 12.8. My understanding is that the higher alkalinity should be buffering the pH a bit.

Alternately, how can I up my pH without mucking with the alkalinity? I know I can add some calcium (that's low at 336) and that will lower alkalinity, but still not address the pH problem. I'd love to run an airline from outside, but my air pump doesn't have a single input, so I'd have to put the pump outside and I have no way to do that. I could run an airline, if I can find an air pump that can work with that.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Edit: I now have an Icecap K1-130 skimmer running. Could I run an airline from outside to the air inlet on that? Would there be a maximum distance that it would work at?

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What tests did you use?
Elevated Co2 levels in homes can have a substantial impact on pH. Seasonal variations in weather often cause us to keep windows and doors closed. This often causes pH issues to arise during the extremes of the seasons, either very hot or very cold outside. So it makes logical sense that is the issue you are experiencing however solutions vary depending on cause. Running an outside air line to your skimmer will almost definitely help, but by far most effective if elevated co2 in the home is the cause. Regarding max distance it depends on too many factors to generalize. Running a 25ft 3/8" hose with no tight bends of kinks might lose about 25% efficacy for the skimmer which is likely totally fine but it depends on how you run your skimmer. The best thing you can do is test it yourself. Also beware of dangers, the top one being pesticides commonly sprayed around the perimeter of homes. Highly elevated Co2 in the home can pose a risk to our health as well so many of us address the problem at that level.

The Aeration Test is a simple method to check the home for elevated Co2

Take a sample of tank water outside and aerate with an airstone.
Measure pH before and after aeration
If the pH has risen after aeration you have high CO2 in the home

OP
OP
kdx7214

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What tests did you use?
Elevated Co2 levels in homes can have a substantial impact on pH. Seasonal variations in weather often cause us to keep windows and doors closed. This often causes pH issues to arise during the extremes of the seasons, either very hot or very cold outside. So it makes logical sense that is the issue you are experiencing however solutions vary depending on cause. Running an outside air line to your skimmer will almost definitely help, but by far most effective if elevated co2 in the home is the cause. Regarding max distance it depends on too many factors to generalize. Running a 25ft 3/8" hose with no tight bends of kinks might lose about 25% efficacy for the skimmer which is likely totally fine but it depends on how you run your skimmer. The best thing you can do is test it yourself. Also beware of dangers, the top one being pesticides commonly sprayed around the perimeter of homes. Highly elevated Co2 in the home can pose a risk to our health as well so many of us address the problem at that level.

The Aeration Test is a simple method to check the home for elevated Co2

Take a sample of tank water outside and aerate with an airstone.
Measure pH before and after aeration
If the pH has risen after aeration you have high CO2 in the home

I'm using a Hannah checker for all of it, and I have a pH probe in the tank. I realize about in home CO2 levels, was just questioning whether my alkalinity test was working properly. Still not quite sure what I'll do about the pH though.

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using a Hannah checker for all of it, and I have a pH probe in the tank. I realize about in home CO2 levels, was just questioning whether my alkalinity test was working properly. Still not quite sure what I'll do about the pH though.
Co2 levels in the home are commonly elevated way beyond the buffering capacity of a reef system. But there can be other factors compounding besides just the in home co2 so that aeration test is the first step towards sorting this out.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s possible the pH is accurate.

Try aerating a cup of the same water with outside air for an hour and see how much the pH rises. Then do the same with indoor air. That will tell you if you have an indoor CO2 issue, or an incorrect pH reading.

OP
OP
kdx7214

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s possible the pH is accurate.

Try aerating a cup of the same water with outside air for an hour and see how much the pH rises. Then do the same with indoor air. That will tell you if you have an indoor CO2 issue, or an incorrect pH reading.

That's a great idea Randy. Thanks!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 67 32.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back