Are these prices serious? Who buys this stuff?

adam finley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This topic does come up a lot why? IMHO the price of coral to an average hobbiest is getting expensive. Like what’s already been stated it is our choice to either pay the price or not but that doesn’t take away from the fact that it’s getting expensive. Yeah sure some of you might be willing to pay 500 bucks for a zoa polyp. However, wouldn’t you rather pay 20? With that being said vendors own the business so they can charge what they want. I’m more irritated by most of their phony sales they have . Like when they mark a common orange or green ric mush up from $30 to $50 and give you 40% off. So it’s really the same price it usually is anyways.

noahreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have of recent started buying livestock from local reefers only. All my LFS have crazy prices on coral or very sub par choices. I get the whole “support your LFS” but it gets harder when they are charging hundreds of dollars for a below average frag.

scriptmonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So one could argue that at some point that we wouldn't be reliant on maricultured corals. There will be enough people with coral and propagating it that it could be self sustaining. There was a thread a month or so ago that some were actually trimming and throwing it away.

So let use something as an example. Let's say @Flippers4pups has this new coral that is the latest hotness, he calls it the Super Extraordinary X-Man. He sells his S.E.X for $800 bucks to Jim Bob. Jim Bob takes it and wants to get his investment back so he grows and frags to two people. Those two want to recoup and the trend continues. There is a tipping point were now there is more on the market and all those frags are growing at a rate that becomes exponentially more supply because every frag can grow to a point were it must be trimmed. As long as we do not have people throwing away the S.E.X then supply would drive down price. Of course you will have some die off and not everyone will sell the cuttings. But over time supply will crush prices eventually. One exception really is if De Beers gets into Coral but they control the release of most diamonds on the market. They are awesome at keeping prices inflated, ask my wifes rings.

Moral of the story, if you have a Tony's Cookie monster or a heart of the ocean...trim a piece and propagate it to good ol Scriptmonkey. Let's crush markets together..

Last edited:

Elliott Comans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's more about rarity and status.

In my opinion a $30 flame angel looks better than a $5000 clarion angel, and most people not in the hobby would probably agree.

30 flame angel. Is that all you pay in the states. In Australia we get cheap gorgeous coral. A flame angel will set you back 150 here. So they're seems to be 2sides to this coin. Win some lose some.

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So one could argue that at some point that we wouldn't be reliant on maricultured corals. There will be enough people with coral and propagating it that it could be self sustaining.
The challenge is those corals that are extremely slow growing, or propagation through fragging is nearly impossible. Spawning events and settling out the corals isn't something well developed in the industry.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You obviously weren't in the hobby during the Mr Coral days.

I've been in the hobby since the late 80's, so yes I was around. I remember a guy at one of the shows that literally had whole colonies of acans and you would tell him how many heads and he would cut it to order in front of you.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This topic does come up a lot why? IMHO the price of coral to an average hobbiest is getting expensive. Like what’s already been stated it is our choice to either pay the price or not but that doesn’t take away from the fact that it’s getting expensive. Yeah sure some of you might be willing to pay 500 bucks for a zoa polyp. However, wouldn’t you rather pay 20? With that being said vendors own the business so they can charge what they want. I’m more irritated by most of their phony sales they have . Like when they mark a common orange or green ric mush up from $30 to $50 and give you 40% off. So it’s really the same price it usually is anyways.

Is it just coral? Is it also equipment? I can easily make a nice sump with a 20 gallon aquarium - a couple pieces of glass - and some silicone - yet some people pay $$$$$ for custom acrylic (nicely colored) sumps. I can easily plumb my sump with flexible tubing yet other prefer color coded PVC and multiple valves, etc and cords hidden, etc. It all comes down to personal preference. Your post kind of contradicts itself or im misreading it. On one hand you say the hobby is getting expensive - on the other hand you say the business can charge what they want. On the next you say you hate the sales where prices are marked up - and then put on sale. Do you have a lot of evidence that this happens frequently? I mean I've heard this happening in almost every business (especially going out of business sales).

adam finley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it just coral? Is it also equipment? I can easily make a nice sump with a 20 gallon aquarium - a couple pieces of glass - and some silicone - yet some people pay $$$$$ for custom acrylic (nicely colored) sumps. I can easily plumb my sump with flexible tubing yet other prefer color coded PVC and multiple valves, etc and cords hidden, etc. It all comes down to personal preference. Your post kind of contradicts itself or im misreading it. On one hand you say the hobby is getting expensive - on the other hand you say the business can charge what they want. On the next you say you hate the sales where prices are marked up - and then put on sale. Do you have a lot of evidence that this happens frequently? I mean I've heard this happening in almost every business (especially going out of business sales).
How does that contradict itself? Things are getting expensive. However, since they own the business they can sale it at whatever price they want rather it’s expensive or not doesn’t mean I agree with the price. It’s their business. And I think that a lot of their so called sales are bogus. And yes I can pm you examples if you need but since the one that just had this “sale” is a sponsor I’m not going to publicly call them out.

Last edited:

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 flame angel. Is that all you pay in the states. In Australia we get cheap gorgeous coral. A flame angel will set you back 150 here. So they're seems to be 2sides to this coin. Win some lose some.

I saw a flame angel for around $90 yesterday, I used to see them for $50 around 2002.

scriptmonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does that contradict itself? Things are getting expensive. However, since they own the business they can sale it at whatever price they want rather it’s expensive or not doesn’t mean I agree with the price. It’s their business. And I think that a lot of their so called sales are bogus. And yes I can pm you examples if you need but since the one that just had this “sale” is a sponsor I’m not going to publicly call them out.

I do not totally agree with your statement that businesses set the price especially for luxury items or non essentials items. None of this is required so if an individual or group of individuals feel that an item is not worth then do not buy them. The Business has two options, 1. Go out of business, 2. Lower the price until people feel like the price = the perceived value of an item.

Also the value of an item for one person necessarily might not match what another feels. I personally do not think the price of Lamborghini's are worth it, but I do not begrudge people that can. I just go "oh look, that's cool, but not as cool as my Walt Disney"

adam finley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not totally agree with your statement that businesses set the price especially for luxury items or non essentials items. None of this is required so if an individual or group of individuals feel that an item is not worth then do not buy them. The Business has two options, 1. Go out of business, 2. Lower the price until people feel like the price = the perceived value of an item.

Also the value of an item for one person necessarily might not match what another feels. I personally do not think the price of Lamborghini's are worth it, but I do not begrudge people that can. I just go "oh look, that's cool, but not as cool as my Walt Disney"
Well there is no quote on quote standard price on coral in our hobby and I understand that. However if let’s say 8 places sale a basic 1” orange ric for 25-30 bucks without being on sale. Then a company is having a 40% off sale and have a 1” orange ric “normally” 50 but now you can get it for 30 is it really a sale? We can disagree back and forth over and over if you like but clearly we aren’t going to change each other’s view. Keep buying those 500$ single zoa polyps and I’ll keep complaining about sale prices lol.

scriptmonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well there is no quote on quote standard price on coral in our hobby and I understand that. However if let’s say 8 places sale a basic 1” orange ric for 25-30 bucks without being on sale. Then a company is having a 40% off sale and have a 1” orange ric “normally” 50 but now you can get it for 30 is it really a sale? We can disagree back and forth over and over if you like but clearly we aren’t going to change each other’s view. Keep buying those 500$ single zoa polyps and I’ll keep complaining about sale prices lol.

Zoas are not my thing, they are way overpriced for what you get plus they have a toxin. But hey, if someone wants to buy one, more power too them.

As far as the sale thing, yes it does happen. But at least for myself I really ignore what everyone says is or isn't a good deal or not and I pay for what I can live with. I am sure others do the same.

Also, let's keep the debate going because I am fascinated by others arguements, arguments is not the right word, more like point of views. I have been known to hear an angle I didn't even think of or considered and change sides once I determined my own logic is flawed. While we never might agree, it is awesome we are in a place that we can have the discussion in a respectful manner and at the end agree to disagree then go talk tangs and might be on the same page.

adam finley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas are not my thing, they are way overpriced for what you get plus they have a toxin. But hey, if someone wants to buy one, more power too them.

As far as the sale thing, yes it does happen. But at least for myself I really ignore what everyone says is or isn't a good deal or not and I pay for what I can live with. I am sure others do the same.

Also, let's keep the debate going because I am fascinated by others arguements, arguments is not the right word, more like point of views. I have been known to hear an angle I didn't even think of or considered and change sides once I determined my own logic is flawed. While we never might agree, it is awesome we are in a place that we can have the discussion in a respectful manner and at the end agree to disagree then go talk tangs and might be on the same page.
Well we at least agree on that. And I agree that it’s great to get others point of views so I can try to better understand them rather I agree or not. And honestly my intentions and comments about the price of something is never aimed at the buyer “ other then my joke above”. People earn their money so they should spend it how they choose. I just feel like some places sales are a little misleading. And coral is getting even more expensive lol. I just don’t want someone telling me or trying to make me think I’m getting a good deal. I want to actually know I’m getting a good deal which in our hobby can be kinda subjective. My fear is that things might get so out of control price wise that it will take away the enjoyment of the hobby and might keep people from pursuing the hobby.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No they cant. For example they couldn't say - I want a million dollars for a zoa frag (well they could but no one would pay). They lower the price to the point where people will pay. Its a myth that a person can sell something at 'whatever they want' - UNLESS - they have something someone is willing to pay their 'price'

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got most of my multiple polyp zoas for $5-10. As I said earlier, it's all about the bragging rights! For me, paying 10 to 20 times more for the same coral because it is a different color is like going to the car dealership and looking at a blue truck for $40,000 but then having the salesperson telling me that they have a special " midnight moonlight sparkle blue flasher " edition for $60,000 because it's the latest color! Too bad once they sell 100 of them it won't be the latest color anymore! I'm perfectly happy with just blue! Lol

scriptmonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well we at least agree on that. And I agree that it’s great to get others point of views so I can try to better understand them rather I agree or not. And honestly my intentions and comments about the price of something is never aimed at the buyer “ other then my joke above”. People earn their money so they should spend it how they choose. I just feel like some places sales are a little misleading. And coral is getting even more expensive lol. I just don’t want someone telling me or trying to make me think I’m getting a good deal. I want to actually know I’m getting a good deal which in our hobby can be kinda subjective. My fear is that things might get so out of control price wise that it will take away the enjoyment of the hobby and might keep people from pursuing the hobby.

Definitely misleading is going on! But us as consumers to keep those kinds of people honest.

You really want to know what really makes me mad, is the renaming of common corals to designer names then jacking the price. I fell into this trap once and now have two of the same coral I believe (stupid live sale rapid fire format). But in the end it was my fault for falling into the hype and the thrill of the win and getting swept up by it.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back