Are these stars safe?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Bugenar
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Bugenar

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 8, 2025
Messages
195
Reaction score
69
Location
maryland
What state or country do you live in
Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One looks white and was on the back glass eating algae, the other is a darkish green color (possibly black) and was hitchhiking on my zoa frag. I know some asterina stars are reef safe and I don’t wanna dump these little guys

image.jpg image.jpg
 
there’s mixed reviews but the general consensus is no, especially the darker ones. They can eat some soft corals like zoas as well as montiporas. I’ve personally bought them doing so on mine.
Supposedly the white ones don’t. 🤷🏻‍♂️
 
Agreed, these are Asterina stars, and there’s many different species with some believed to be a tank safe detrivore, but some (possibly most) clearly go after corals. I believe most R2R members would try to get rid of them, although you could let it ride and see if they bother anything.

One way to eradicate them would be by adding a harlequin shrimp or two, who feed exclusively on sea stars. They will take care of the Asterinas, but once the stars are gone you need to target feed the harlequin shrimp other stars, or rehome them.

Good luck!
 
Hitchhiker on a Zoanthid frag would make me highly suspicious.
Great point, I entirely missed that, I just saw the pic lol! But, agreed, good catch.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new