Are these two the same Chloramine monster cart?

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.filtersfast.com/Pentek-CRFC20-BB-GAC-Filter.asp , says

Pentek CRFC20-BB Radial Flow Carbon Filter. < I know that is a chloramine "monster" cart.. I've used it a few times, it's same as the one from BRS.​

but this
says CRFC20-BB Big Blue. This one is even less$ , looks like same model number, but it says Big Blue

are they the same?
TIA!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. If :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:they were the same both would have the same common name. It’s just like coral vendors have different trade names for the same coral. That they have the same item number is probably just a accident.

Otherwise, I suspect that they are the same. When I come upon these kinds of accidents I ask myself the same question. Then I look at the cost difference and decide if the savings is worth the risk? In this case I also ask myself the question; “If they are the same item then why didn’t BrS come up with a typical trade identification, like ‘CornBread Carbon’ or ‘ Ultimate Rainbow Carbon’ cartridge? Monster Carbon does not fit well with common Reefer terminology?”

I have used Damp Rid ( Unscented) for calcium additions and generic melamine pads from China instead of Mr Clean sponges and save tons of nickels instead of buying name branded stuff. 100 Sponges delivered for $12-15.00 helps keep my tank clean without suffering the price of Mr.Clean’s Corporate mark ups, I think I would buy a cartridge and see how it performs. I don’t expect the name hung on a cylinder of activated charcoal ( with the same product number on the label) is going to outperform the cartridge without the OG Holy Grail name that is designed by the marketing folks who get paid to come up with the handle.

The other hand is that BRS is a good supplier for the folks enjoying our hobby. Sometimes it’s a wise decision to support the suppliers so that we will have access to reef ingredients in the future.

I had a good time tying out the long answer, thanks for asking and thanks for investigating the item in question! I like to do that myself and it warms my heart to know that there are other people in the hobby who are working to keep our suppliers in check at the checkout line.

Reef on!

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that. I know the filtersfast one is the exact same as the BRS. I was wondering if the AMazon is also that same. Because i can get it delivered much faster in case I need it this week with my major need of RO DI this week, also not just the $10 less price.
edit, i'm sure it's the same one.. same model # .. they are almost same price, etc.

Last edited:

ChuckTownReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is the same. BRS charges a very high reef tax. Just look at the ro filter housing price difference compare to the same size of one on Amazon. It's almost double the price. All dry good that BRS an other aquarium store sell are marked up.
Di resin is cheap every except BRS and other stores alike

Also the BRS item picture is old. So that could be why it looks difference.

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is the same. BRS charges a very high reef tax. Just look at the ro filter housing price difference compare to the same size of one on Amazon. It's almost double the price. All dry good that BRS an other aquarium store sell are marked up.
Di resin is cheap every except BRS and other stores alike

Also the BRS item picture is old. So that could be why it looks difference.
I thought so, and Ty ChuckT

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 94 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back