Are these worth using for RODI

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are 30 gallon containers that held soap from a car wash. Seller wants 15 each. They have tops with bungs. Can I safely use these if I rinse with bleach? These would be perfect if I could but the soap scares me a little bit. What do you guys/gals think?

E3B1BEAD-199F-41DA-91BC-B221F0F39CC3.jpeg

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with a food safe container. You don’t have any guessing. Brute Trashcans are food safe and are good for RODI and mixing saltwater.

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used similar containers for holding sap for maple syrup, but mine were used for molasses before I got them. I think you're right to be wary of the soap, I think you'd be better of with something food-grade

Wyvern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. Most plastics absorb water and some chemicals after they are made, sometimes a considerable amount.

There is a chance whatever was in those buckets could leach out since RODI water is actually a powerful solvent and hates being RODI.

mrlavalamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't, even with food grade barrels you have to be cautious what was in them. Food grade barrels should be pressure washed very well and steam cleaned if you can find someone with the apparatus to do it (I have used local trash can cleaning company for this before, just make sure their equipment is clean).

Industrial soaps have all sorts of bad junk in them and leaching even trace amounts of them into your water could wreak havoc.

OP
OP
Yates273

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah guess I’ll have to pass. dang these were the right price. I know about Brute but the space I have is limited and these with a 19.5 in diameter are perfect

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back