Are these zoa eating nudi eggs?

frisky_polyp4250

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello friends!

I have never been able to keep zoas super happy. This is odd because my tank is mostly sps corals now, and they are all growing and coloring up really well. So I am thinking that I have a pest of some kind that is bothering my zoas. I decided to dip all of my zoas today and then realized that this little guy had something that looked like eggs on it. I have yet to find anything that looks like nudis or spiders, but my guess is that the eggs belong to one of those two. Any ideas on the identification? Are these even eggs? I plan to dip all my zoas every 4 days for a while in lugols solution and start dosing iodine to the quarantine tank that they are now being held in. Once I have a better idea what the pest is, I will take a more intentional approach to eradication.

Thanks in advance, everyone!

:)

Screen Shot 2020-11-19 at 12.08.00 AM.png

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dips are definitely a good start, they will not kill the eggs though. I’m not even positive that the eggs are visible since everybody talks about how difficult it is to fully eradicate the nudis because of the eggs. As a precaution, I would scrape whatever it is off (I don’t see anything but I totally believe that you can) with a razor or scalpel then dip again in H2O2 or other pest dip. Hopefully these dips are helping with your zoa issue! Have you seen pests that aren’t nudis or spiders such as asterina stars or amphipods? Those probably would not be affected by any dips and you would need to take other action. Checking at night is the best way to spot these baddies, I usually just use my phone flashlight but if you have poor eyesight or need to take a long time for any reason then a red light is preferable since it’s invisible to our livestock. If I need a red light I simply remove my AI Prime from the tank and turn on only the red. :)

Upvote 0

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 28 16.8%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 69 41.3%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 24 14.4%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 36 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.0%
Back