Are Three Reservoirs Required?

ubiq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two 44 gallon Brute cans in my mixing station. I use the R/O can for auto top off and also transfer that water to my second can where I mix it with salt (Reef Crystals) for auto water changes. I want to add kalk to the first can for dosing via auto top off, but I am told that this makes the R/O water unsuitable for subsequently mixing with salt in the second can, which implies that a third can is necessary to accomplish kalk dosing. Three 44 gallon cans will take up too much space. Any thoughts on how to avoid the need for an additional can?

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are using 1 can for top off with kalk and 1 can for mixing SW why do you need a third? Also I wouldn't feed kalk through a standard ATO pump, the sludge can cause issues.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming your using the RO/DI bin as a top off also?

How big of a tank are we talking here, and why the large container of topoff? I would just use a smaller container as an ATO, and leave the RO/DI bin as RO/DI.

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others have said, why can't you just add RO directly to the salt can, and add the salt?

OP
OP
ubiq

ubiq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are using 1 can for top off with kalk and 1 can for mixing SW why do you need a third? Also I wouldn't feed kalk through a standard ATO pump, the sludge can cause issues.
The third can would be for un-kalked R/O water for transfer to the mixing can. The SW can must be mixed in discrete batches as it's constantly being depleted.

OP
OP
ubiq

ubiq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of transferring your RO water from the ATO container to the SW container make RO water directly in the SW container.
If I feed r/o water directly to the SW can I have no way of determining how much has been added so as to know how much salt to add. I add R/O water by gallon pitcher to get the right mix.

OP
OP
ubiq

ubiq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming your using the RO/DI bin as a top off also?

How big of a tank are we talking here, and why the large container of topoff? I would just use a smaller container as an ATO, and leave the RO/DI bin as RO/DI.
125 gals. The large R/O size is because it's used for both the ATO and for transferring to the SW can for mixing and use in auto water change.

OP
OP
ubiq

ubiq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others have said, why can't you just add RO directly to the salt can, and add the salt?
Because then I've have no way of determining exactly how much R/O water was "new", and thus no way of accurately adding salt.

OP
OP
ubiq

ubiq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used three different reservoirs for this purpose consisting of 2 cans for new salt water, three for limewater (kalkwasser) and two for RO/DI.
That gets me back to 3 reservoirs and the space problem. It's clearly the most straightforward solution but space is limited.

CollectOyster04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Refractometers are great tools to be able to measure salinity in water. With one you could be able to add salt in increments and check levels until it's where you want it. Without the need for a third container.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 2 cans, 1 for RODi and 1 for SW. but I also have a smaller 20 gal tank for RODI/top-off. I have a tee coming off my RODI that goes to the 20 gal and the RODI. So I keep the RODI containers separate and for specific functions.

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you scoop salt into your SW bin, you can take a starting salinity reading...add 1 scoop of salt and allow to mix...then measure salinity again. Then if that scoop raises salinity by say 2 PPT, than you can quickly and easily determine how many scoops you need to raise a full container by X ppt salinity. That's how I do it and it works great.

TheDuude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get your hesitation about just using two. I also hate adding bits of salt, waiting for it to mix properly, and checking with my refractometer only to find that in undershoot or overshoot EVERYTIME.

1 easy solution would be to add an inline kalk stirrer which would allow you to keep only RO in your FW bin and still use it like you currently do to make SW.

Other solution would be to add a smaller ATO reservoir like others have mentioned above and just kalk that up. This also has the added advantage of isolating your tank from the full 40 gallons of FW that could be pumped into your tank in the even of an ATO failure in the ON position. ( Less of an issue depending on what ATO system you have ).

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a big kalk fan I would consider a kalk reactor. This will allow you to use 2 containers while making sure all top off water has kalk added this is my preferred method of adding kalk.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back