Saltwater mixing station

  • Thread starter Thread starter phish1627
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

phish1627

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 29, 2025
Messages
18
Reaction score
6
Location
Palm Harbor
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up a saltwater mixing station with two 44 gallon brute cans. Might be a dumb question, but what’s the best way to mark the water volume inside the can? Will something like a sharpie work or will it leech into the water etc? Obviously would be nice to know water volume to calculate how much salt to add.
 
Setting up a saltwater mixing station with two 44 gallon brute cans. Might be a dumb question, but what’s the best way to mark the water volume inside the can? Will something like a sharpie work or will it leech into the water etc? Obviously would be nice to know water volume to calculate how much salt to add.
I added mine at 2 gallon intervals, added the measured water and marked the OUTSIDE with a line using a black sharpie. shine the light from the inside so you can see the water line on the outside to mark.. just shinning a flash light from the outside and looking from the inside you can see the water level in respect to your markings.
 
A plastic yard stick taped to the inside works just like a gauge. For mine I just scratched a line in the plastic at my full mark. I don't care about exact gallons I just do a one for one. Once I filled to my full mark I started adding salt and weighted each addition until I got to 1.025. Now when I do a water change I fill the can to the mark and weight 4000 grams of salt to get a perfect 1.025 everytime.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 14 45.2%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 2 6.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new