Are you "chilling" your reef? Why or why not?

Do you run a chiller on your saltwater aquarium?

• Yes

Votes: 174 20.2%
  • No

Votes: 484 56.3%
  • No but I do use a fan to cool the water

Votes: 184 21.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 18 2.1%

• Total voters

Conrad Noto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of factors come into play when determining if you'll need a chiller or not for your reef tank. Where you live, the location of your tank, your lighting and more. With it starting to warm up outside I thought it would be a good time to discuss chillers!

What is a chiller?
Here is a simple definition from First Tank Guide: An aquarium chiller is really a small refrigerator which is installed in-line with an external filtration system to cool - or chill - the water as it passes through the system. When coupled with a thermostat, the chiller can prevent the aquarium from rising above a per-determined temperature.

1. Do you run a chiller on your saltwater aquarium?

2. If you answered yes, what brand of chiller are you running?

Image via MarineDepot.com
Aquarium_chiller_final.jpg
Way back in the 80's ozone and halides were a requirement lol. Halides made heat, tanks needed chiller or were 94 degrees in summer. I'm now in Florida, kept the ozone, using LEDs, although love halide/t5 combo best. My tanks run 78-80 degrees most of year and do well. During heatwaves I lower central air few degrees. Tanks stay 2-3 degrees higher than room temperature.

Member No 1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running a 15+ year old JBJ Arctica 1/10 HP Chiller. Was controlled by Apex, now GHL. Still runs like it was new.
Tank is a 120g running old school (2) 250w DE Phoenix 14K & (4) 54w T5's.
I believe in a greater temp fluctuation than what people try to achieve. 78-82ish is good.
Consider the coral on the reef flat. I bet some of those tidal pools get hotter than 82. Plus some coral are expose to air in direct sunlight. How hot do those get? I think greater temp swings, within reason, makes for a healthier coral, and less prone to issues if you do happen to have an unavoidable temp swing.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of factors come into play when determining if you'll need a chiller or not for your reef tank. Where you live, the location of your tank, your lighting and more. With it starting to warm up outside I thought it would be a good time to discuss chillers!

What is a chiller?
Here is a simple definition from First Tank Guide: An aquarium chiller is really a small refrigerator which is installed in-line with an external filtration system to cool - or chill - the water as it passes through the system. When coupled with a thermostat, the chiller can prevent the aquarium from rising above a per-determined temperature.

Our setup is experimental and so needs to be outside, just last week had a major leak and if the setup was inside the building it would have been a mess. So living in always sunny Callyfornia, we build our own chillers, as the need arises and recently set up one which is half horsepower capacity for 80 gallons of water. Recently we had days that are upper 90s. And the chiller keeps up, so far

Carnation corals (dendronephthya) and 34 Pacific oysters.

20200429_095532.jpg received_2905066416251942.jpeg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AquaEuro 1/2 in the garage. The feed pump failed recently and I lost 1/2 of my SPS before I figured out what was wrong. We had been having mild temperatures before but when the sun came out the corals started rtn.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AquaEuro 1/2 in the garage. The feed pump failed recently and I lost 1/2 of my SPS before I figured out what was wrong. We had been having mild temperatures before but when the sun came out the corals started rtn.
Is chiller in or outside garage? Sorry for loss....bummer

Hannahrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in central FL, no chiller use AC and if no electric we have a generator to run the pumps and I can float frozen water bottles in tanks if needed.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No chiller, tank runs 78, using a ceiling fan in room, tunze twin fan on tank connected to Apex and a/c throughout house.

SRQreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What is a chiller?

Yes. I live in Florida and have the sump plumbed from the garage. I use a JBJ Arctica, 1/4HP, on a 120G. Works amazing, is surprisingly efficient, and I couldn't reef without it.

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My house has AC, but if I keep my room temp at 75 in the summer, the pumps push the tank temp over 80. I run a fan controlled by my Apex and the temp is held within a 0.5 degree range.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I used a chiller for nearly 20 years when I used mh and vho lighting. About 10 years ago I went to LEDs and sold the chiller.
About a year ago I switched to T5's but they run cool enough that I don't need a chiller.

bobbyM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. It’s part of my hurricane prep equipment. I have a generator to run my tank and refrigerator.

MARK M. DAVIS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do. Heaters too. Way less costly than coral. Don't want a heater failure or AC failure to ruin my day. I also have a back up generator. It's just piece of mind - no need to scramble.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back