Are you "chilling" your reef? Why or why not?

Do you run a chiller on your saltwater aquarium?

• Yes

Votes: 174 20.2%
  • No

Votes: 484 56.3%
  • No but I do use a fan to cool the water

Votes: 184 21.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 18 2.1%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A lot of factors come into play when determining if you'll need a chiller or not for your reef tank. Where you live, the location of your tank, your lighting and more. With it starting to warm up outside I thought it would be a good time to discuss chillers!

What is a chiller?
Here is a simple definition from First Tank Guide: An aquarium chiller is really a small refrigerator which is installed in-line with an external filtration system to cool - or chill - the water as it passes through the system. When coupled with a thermostat, the chiller can prevent the aquarium from rising above a per-determined temperature.

1. Do you run a chiller on your saltwater aquarium?

2. If you answered yes, what brand of chiller are you running?

Image via MarineDepot.com
Aquarium_chiller_final.jpg

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, but I am using a small fan to cool the tank in the summers. Prior to adding it in conjunction with the Inkbird temperature controller, I was having issues with high temperature fluctuations in the summer. I run my tank at 77 degrees and on particularly hot days it was getting up to 80 and above. Since adding the Inkbird and keeping the tank temperature stable (+/- 0.5 degrees), the corals have been a lot happier.

Boochika

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use a chiller but it's starting to get warmer in the house so I try to angle the powerheads upward a little and get more evaporative cooling this time of year. Also try to keep the cover off the stand of the tank so it can 'vent' out through the sump area as well and release heat there as well.

Jenuvio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ran a chiller for the longest time, after buying a new pump I took it off.

My tank is in the garage, and have maxed at 82*F, nothing affected.
But to save energy and head pressure I removed it. (too bulky, it was cramping my style!)

Have frozen water on standby in case water goes too warm.

64Ivy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running a no-name brand because, without one, my old school MH lights and pumps, would heat my water beyond acceptable limits. Downside I that I think the unit has introduced copper into the tank, taking it from a full-blown reef to a fish only with few hardy but struggling ‘LPS’.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
House has AC... no Halides anymore... no need. Tank is at 78, room at 68-72, depending.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t need to chill my reef. We live in FL and the central air keeps the house at 74 so the tank runs fairly steady at 76-78

I normally don’t have a heater either. This is the first year I needed one and then only 3x

I do have a clip on aquarium fan if need be

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, at least not yet. My current system has only been running for about a week and so far I have not had a need. My AC keeps the house @ 78 and the reefs seem to stay there as well. However, It will be 105 here today, so we will see how that affects the tank. If needed I will get a chiller, though I am really hoping it is not needed!

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, as long as my tank stays out of the upper 80's I don't worry about the temp. I also prefer to encourage temp swings and higher temps because they're more natural and I believe it makes the corals more resilient if temps swings are extreme.

I've always been a little confused about people maintaining stable temps and being afraid of temps over 80. Much of the way the hobby views temps is just inertia from the past and pretty illogical IMO. Lastly, fans are pretty effective if used properly and don't waste as much energy nor do they have to offset the cooling with added heat.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would prefer a chiller since running 8 bulb t5’s in south Florida, what is the typical cost/electricity use associated with one.?

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Used to, generally have oposite problem now with tanks in the basement and 4 heaters in stages to keep it up.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no chiller
no fans
no AC.
tank resides in the cave (basement) so room temp doesn't usually get above 76/78 degrees. I do have to run dehumidifiers during the summer. one in the fish room and the other in the viewing room.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 14 66.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 4.8%
Back