Check YES or NO: Do you use a chiller for your reef tank?

Do you use a chiller for your reef tank?

• YES

Votes: 36 24.5%
  • NO

Votes: 106 72.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 3.4%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's been a while since I asked and this thread got me thinking so I wanted to POLL THE AUDIENCE again to see who is still using a chiller or not for their reef aquarium!

"A chiller for a saltwater reef aquarium is a specialized cooling system designed to regulate and lower the water temperature in the tank. It is used to counteract the heat generated by lighting, equipment, and room temperature, as many reef-dwelling organisms are sensitive to temperature fluctuations. By removing excess heat from the aquarium water, the chiller helps create a stable and optimal environment for the health and well-being of the marine life within the reef tank."

20200110_155513.jpg

Image via @Redox

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several. I will use them if I need to. All have quick disconnects and I have a dual Ranco to just plug the into. If I use one, I keep it outside. I can have it hooked up in about 10 minutes.

I keep my tanks at 74 now to mostly save on heating costs. I don't mind if they get to 78 as much as I minded if they got to 82/83 when I kept the tanks warmer.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but not an electric one. I used cold tap water to cool the tank, through a big plastic tubing coil in the sump, and out to the yard to keep the pond filled in summer.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It won't work. Mini Fridge does not have enough pulling power. Save your money and effort and just buy a new or used chiller. You can go and search/find the mountain of failed attempts to use mini and regular fridges for this purpose. It does not matter if you use copper, titainum, stainless tubing inside of the fridge or not.

A 1/2 HP chiller is about 6000 BTU hours and a dorm fridge is about 150, if I remember right. Full size fridge is under 500 BTU hours.

Aquachristik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It won't work. Mini Fridge does not have enough pulling power. Save your money and effort and just buy a new or used chiller. You can go and search/find the mountain of failed attempts to use mini and regular fridges for this purpose. It does not matter if you use copper, titainum, stainless tubing inside of the fridge or not.

A 1/2 HP chiller is about 6000 BTU hours and a dorm fridge is about 150, if I remember right. Full size fridge is under 500 BTU hours.

I have a friend running it successfully for 2 years without issue. :face-with-monocle: I'll let you know how my attempt goes!

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If money weren't an object (both equipment and utility cost), I'd be very interested in using one of these for a coldwater species tank. But for now, it is not necessary for my tanks.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If money weren't an object (both equipment and utility cost), I'd be very interested in using one of these for a coldwater species tank. But for now, it is not necessary for my tanks.
I am running a 1/15 chiller on my 40g and that is running 63deg ish that runs at 200w which is 1/2 of what my heater runs in my tropical 40g. In the winter my chiller turns on every once in a while. The heater turns on all the time. The opposite in the summer between the two tanks….
I guess what I am saying is it kinda is a wash.

Dr4gula.f32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No chiller. The living room as doors which I close, I set the AC in that room to 2 degrees below display tank temperature. I also have a bank of 4 PC fans in case the temp climbs up a bit more than anticipated. I've been tinkering with the idea of raising the AC temp 1 more degree to save some electric, and let the cooling fans do the rest of the work.

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like JBJ chillers - I bought a 1/3hp chiller more than 10 years ago and still working like a champ!

We don't run AC at home so naturally the tank's temp swimgs between 79-82+. The chiller will help prevent the tank from going past 83F.

Attachments

• IMG_5034.png
    IMG_5034.png
    131.5 KB · Views: 39

codenfx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to try one but I have no space for a chiller where my tank is. Right now I have two fans blowing the surface, it's manageable. When the temp rises too high I'll put a frozen bottle not often I need to do this.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
It's been a while since I asked and this thread got me thinking so I wanted to POLL THE AUDIENCE again to see who is still using a chiller or not for their reef aquarium!

"A chiller for a saltwater reef aquarium is a specialized cooling system designed to regulate and lower the water temperature in the tank. It is used to counteract the heat generated by lighting, equipment, and room temperature, as many reef-dwelling organisms are sensitive to temperature fluctuations. By removing excess heat from the aquarium water, the chiller helps create a stable and optimal environment for the health and well-being of the marine life within the reef tank."

20200110_155513.jpg

Image via @Redox
I use a TECO chiller and maintains the tank temperature well HOWEVER, in addition to higher electrical use, the heat it expels makes it hard to love having one. I cant vent it outside the house, so I run it down through floor and some is still under the stand.

tigre44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a small chiller since I use t5-mh lighting to keep temp below 83. I try to maintain 77-78 deg

lasithawicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I’m living in a tropical country, I use a teko chiller to maintain the temperature at 26-27 Celsius. Without a chiller temperature will go up to 33+ Celsius. Teko 500 will start at least 3-4 times a day to chill my redsea 425. And one start will run for about 2 hours.

Rich Klein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found that 2 $18 Amazon fans connected to my Apex “outlet” do the trick for my 165 gallon. A lot cheaper (purchase and electricity) and less complicated than a chiller.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 36 37.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 12.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 31 32.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back