Check YES or NO: Do you use a chiller for your reef tank?

Do you use a chiller for your reef tank?

• YES

Votes: 36 24.5%
  • NO

Votes: 106 72.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 3.4%

• Total voters

ThaBeast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've got a chiller mainly as redundancy in case the house AC fails. When it is really hot and humid the UV sterilizer will push the temp in the tank close to 80, I let the chiller bring the temp back to 78. Chiller and some other equipment is in a closet near the tank, there is an exhaust fan in the closet that vents to the outside

vahegan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to cool the tank with fans blowing on the surface, keeping the temperature at 27C using a thermostat. My 250 liter tank was evaporating about 10 liters of water every day... I bought a Teco-500 chiller recently, and set it to 25C - my evaporation dropped to about 2 liters a day, and the corals are getting better coloration. However, all the hot air is in the room now, making it much hotter for my own presence, especially at night - I hate to turn on the AC but now I am forced, to be able to sleep. Love the topic starter's photo, perhaps I need to do the same - just, need to arrange plumbing from the tank to window, and drill a large hole in the wall. I am a bit concerned, though, if cold air would be coming to my room through the chiller during winter...

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No Way Mac GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Heart of Dixie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Living in Alabama I use one as needed in July & August when the tank hits 82.5. My sump is in the basement which is not air conditioned.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it safe to assume anyone without A/C in the tank room has to utilize mechanical cooling of some sort at some point?

Azael

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I don’t use a chiller. Until this summer I used fans and I was happy with the result. This summer I used the AC.

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just added a chiller, once I put all my lights in the canopy the tank got hotter. I use fans as well but this gives me a good backup for an ac going down or power outages where my generator is running the house and the portable ac. The chiller worked extremely well yesterday.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 30.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back