Are you "chilling" your reef? Why or why not?

Do you run a chiller on your saltwater aquarium?

• Yes

Votes: 174 20.2%
  • No

Votes: 484 56.3%
  • No but I do use a fan to cool the water

Votes: 184 21.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 18 2.1%

• Total voters

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have to run chiller here in Az. It's already in the hundreds and my wife doesn't like to run the ac in the house if she doesnt have to.

Niko219

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The air conditioner in my room is pretty consistent and my heater is set at 77 Fahrenheit so no need for one

Neil S.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of factors come into play when determining if you'll need a chiller or not for your reef tank. Where you live, the location of your tank, your lighting and more. With it starting to warm up outside I thought it would be a good time to discuss chillers!

What is a chiller?
Here is a simple definition from First Tank Guide: An aquarium chiller is really a small refrigerator which is installed in-line with an external filtration system to cool - or chill - the water as it passes through the system. When coupled with a thermostat, the chiller can prevent the aquarium from rising above a per-determined temperature.

1. Do you run a chiller on your saltwater aquarium?

2. If you answered yes, what brand of chiller are you running?

Image via MarineDepot.com
Aquarium_chiller_final.jpg
Neat question: Where I live, it is generally only hot for about 3-4 months total, with spring and fall only being accidents....or as one person stated "....8 months of winter, and 4 months of bad sledding...". So no, a chiller is not needed, nor is a fan blowing at the water. I do have a fan in the sump compartment which turns the air over in the cabinet about 15 times an hour so that does contribute to some temperature reduction as the air here is REALLY dry so the evaporative process works just fine to keep the water cool if the air temperature rises. (by the way VERY HOT is considered to be over 30 C ). The LFS do not carry coolers as regular stock.

raffy026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use two chillers the main one an Aqua USA 1 horse power and second is my backup 1/3 artica. for my 180 gallon display reef in Puerto Rico, it gets hot.

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't get chillers to be honest. I keep my house 68-75° all year long, never worry about the tank temp getting high. If the AC went down and its over 90° outside its considered an emergency and will be fixed within the day/night (multiple 24/7 AC repair companies here). It gets to 105°+ in the summertime here in Las Vegas.

A garage setup is a different story..

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept my aquarium cool, not with a chiller or fan, but with cold tap water run through a big loop of plastic tubing in my sump.
Water flow was controlled by a temperature controller and solenoid on the cold water tap, and the used water was sent out to the yard to water plants or keep the pond topped off.

Petro27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JBJ 1/3 HP on my 150 gal. - LED's & T-5's - mixed reef
JBJ 1/4 HP on my 55 gal. - LED only - fish only
and an extra JBJ 1/4 HP as a back up, for whatever reason if I have an issue with one of the working ones I have a replacement. Summers in Santa Clarita, CA, it's not uncommon to get to 115 degrees outside. A chiller is a must for me!!

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do most of the people without chiller or fan have air conditioning? My tank would pass 30C without cooling.

sg88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. In Hawaii, central air, or even AC in living spaces is uncommon and I don’t have. But with global warming there has been a well documented shift in our Tradewind pattern to less than half the breezy days than when I was a kid in the 60’s. So my 15 gallon saltwater tank will reach 87 F in the heat of the summer. I use a Chill Solutions CSXC-1 thermoelectric chiller that keeps my little tank at 79 F. Never a need for heaters.
Just got an SCA 50 gallon with 17 gallon sump and am going to try to use two of the Tunze Aquawind fans. If that doesn’t work, will need to get a real air conditioner-type cooler.

As a related aside, I think it would be great if experienced reefers could work with marine biologists to study and/or breed heat tolerant corals to allow repopulation of our ocean reefs. With tens of thousands (or more) of tanks worldwide, everyone producing a little frag here and there could really make a huge difference.

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No chiller but I do have a fan to keep it below 80 in the summer.

Fastball16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is in an air conditioned home. Home is 75 at night, 78 during the day. Havent seen the need to run a chiller as I prefer the temp at approx 78.

nsuderman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I answered other because I need to cool my water, but could not work out a good way to fit an adequately sized chiller for my 300G tank in my very small fish room. I explored a split system with titanium heat exchanger, but that would require special soldering So instead I installed a split system room AC for the fish room itself that way the heat from the lights gets removed before it ever heats up the water. Its has worked very well. When my house does get warm which happens very infrequently it will also remove the excess heat slowly and stablely by first raising the tank temp then the fish room. Never raises more than 1/2 a degree

Fishlover56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of factors come into play when determining if you'll need a chiller or not for your reef tank. Where you live, the location of your tank, your lighting and more. With it starting to warm up outside I thought it would be a good time to discuss chillers!

What is a chiller?
Here is a simple definition from First Tank Guide: An aquarium chiller is really a small refrigerator which is installed in-line with an external filtration system to cool - or chill - the water as it passes through the system. When coupled with a thermostat, the chiller can prevent the aquarium from rising above a per-determined temperature.

1. Do you run a chiller on your saltwater aquarium?

2. If you answered yes, what brand of chiller are you running?

Image via MarineDepot.com
Aquarium_chiller_final.jpg
I dont run a chiller
A) im in the uk and its rarely we every see really hot days lol
B) monitoring my tank temps over the year i dont see it ever get to high on the summer is pretty much self sustaining but if it did get to hot i would add a fan thats on hand in case

Boomer52

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Southern California and do not have AC. In the summer time, especially when we get a heat wave, the tank would be pushing 90F or more without the chiller. in the winter time it hardly ever runs.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank sits in the basement. It never gets above 70.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 29 28.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 39 38.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.9%
Back