Are You New to Reef Keeping?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear Newbie or Potential Newbie -

Patience. Webster's Dictionary defines it to mean: "done in a careful way over a long period of time without hurrying". Patience; almost as important as the very water in which your inhabitants will live.

We live in a society where instant gratification is facilitated by credit cards and payment plans. There are many things we can own impulsively, but a captivating reef tank cannot be counted among them.

A reef tank is not a traditional fixture which you set up in your home. Unlike a TV, you don't pull it from a box, plug it in and enjoy. It must be constructed and nurtured so that it will grow into the magnificent display you see it as in your mind's eye. Much in the way that a summer garden is cultivated to grow into a state of rich colors and aromatic blends, a reef tank is the cultivation of a marine environment.

Owning a reef tank is commonly referred to as "reef keeping". Webster defines the word "keeping" to mean: "the action of owning, maintaining, or protecting something". What are we maintaining? Water quality, lighting and nutrition. What are we protecting? Our investment!

Reef keeping is not an inexpensive hobby. Depending on the size of your setup, it is not unreasonable to expect to spend between one and a few thousand dollars in the first year of your project. The good news is that as a hobby which requires patience, it is a project which can be completed in stages. Because of this, the cash layout can be in several smaller amounts instead of the complete cost, all at once.

If it sounds like I am trying to discourage you; I'm not. I'm simply trying to make clear, the financial and work commitment necessary. Once the decision to move forward in reef keeping is reached, anything less than seeing it through to the end is a waste of your time and money. And remember: your goal isn't to have a tank that survives, but a tank that thrives!

Good Luck!
Dom​

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 43 42.6%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 49 48.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back