New BioCube 32 Reef attempt

spielco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Decided to give a reef tank a try. Ran across steal on a biocube that was let go. Put in some work and cleaned it all up.

Told my self I would start slow and do it right but my patience got the best of me. This is pretty new to me and gonna be learning a lot on the fly. So far in the journey I’m loving it. Really hoping to see my little ocean thrive.

Going to be going for my first attempt of cutting the frag plates and plugs off and glueing the corals in the desired locations which has me pretty nervous but ready. I’m all ear and open to suggestions to help my journey to make it as fun and stable as possible

IMG_3539.jpeg IMG_3538.jpeg

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! I ran a bio cube for several years, just sold mine a few weeks ago, they are nice little tanks. What light are you using? You can probably do a search and see what other people are doing with their bio cubes on here, there are some dandy’s! Never hurts to borrow ideas or see what obstacles others faced and how they over came them.

OP
OP
spielco

spielco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks great! I ran a bio cube for several years, just sold mine a few weeks ago, they are nice little tanks. What light are you using? You can probably do a search and see what other people are doing with their bio cubes on here, there are some dandy’s! Never hurts to borrow ideas or see what obstacles others faced and how they over came them.
I’m excited to give it a try for sure! It’s all stock currently have been looking into a couple options of keeping the hood on and adding a strip or removing the hood in the future and adding a kessel

Meanmrmustard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful and take your time I cracked the back of the tank trying to remove it, but it was up high enough that it doesn't leak.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to add lights to your hood, check out the 21LEDUSA ReefBars. They are waterproof, and can be attached using the Red 3M Mounting Tape. Also they have a SunSetter Control, for the lights.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, I’ve had my Biocube 32 set up for over a year. I did add some 21 leds, for more blues for more color pop of my corals when the whites are on full bur everything was growing well with the stock lights. Happy to help out if you have any ideas to bounce off me. What part of Ohio are you in? O-H!
31D406DB-D0AC-4706-B57B-7C23AFE07FB8.jpeg

OP
OP
spielco

spielco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Be careful and take your time I cracked the back of the tank trying to remove it, but it was up high enough that it doesn't leak.
Appreciate the heads up! It’s gonna be a bit before I switch anything over. I’ve watched a few promising videos of par measurements and trying to learn the differences.

OP
OP
spielco

spielco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome, I’ve had my Biocube 32 set up for over a year. I did add some 21 leds, for more blues for more color pop of my corals when the whites are on full bur everything was growing well with the stock lights. Happy to help out if you have any ideas to bounce off me. What part of Ohio are you in? O-H!
Love this tank! I’m looking into the 21LED lights here I like the idea also instead of swapping the entire hood. Did you go with 1 or 2 strips? I’m concerned in over light and causing blooms and or hurting my livestock.

OP
OP
spielco

spielco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m NW Ohio I-O!!

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this tank! I’m looking into the 21LED lights here I like the idea also instead of swapping the entire hood. Did you go with 1 or 2 strips? I’m concerned in over light and causing blooms and or hurting my livestock.
I went with two all blues for reasons stated before. I just bought one of those timers from the hardware store to turn it on and off.
616BC716-EAD3-46D7-A8DA-DD48F560D4EF.jpeg
9E38EC0C-EEC7-4F0B-B36C-5FB776ADE4A2.jpeg

OP
OP
spielco

spielco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My wife and I are Ohio State University graduates. This is less enthusiastic after Friday but I’ll give it a try, O-H!
Definitely get that! Was glad I was at work for the game haha.

We are about 2hrs west from the university!

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely get that! Was glad I was at work for the game haha.

We are about 2hrs west from the university!
2 1/2 hours north east, just over an hour from Cleveland and the same to Pittsburgh. Half my town wears black and gold, it’s awful.

OP
OP
spielco

spielco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have been working at understanding the chemistry behind a reef tank and the water. Even watching lots of videos and talking to some other reefers. I’m absolutely hooked now.

Have a long ways to go still but I’m starting to see my rank turn into my little slice of ocean.

Noticed my alkalinity calcium and magnesium would not stay up after my water changes so I started to does tropic Marin all for reef In hopes it will cause better stability!

Attachments

• IMG_2025.jpeg
    IMG_2025.jpeg
    119.8 KB · Views: 32
OP
OP
spielco

spielco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Onto another day into this addicting hobby. Thankfully I work to much or I would never be able to stop messing around.

Into my second 5g water change with the Redsea pro salt and have been able to tell a little difference in testing already. Noticed my alkalinity and calcium were staying on the low side so I decided to start dosing AFR at the 5ml per day.

Found a good buy on an brs1.1ml dosing pump. This was interesting to research and set up. Super simple annd way quieter than I was expecting.

the corals health have been seeming steady. larger and happier seeming. Been staying now around 8.2-8.6dkh and calcium is now staying around 425-440

Have one coral I believe a lapastrea that started to die it looks like. I don’t believe it’s getting any worse so hoping I caught on to it early enough to save him.

I can get lost just sitting starting into my little sea. Really has been nice to come home from a long day and take a look at what’s been happening in the tank.

Ran into a local reefer and going to get to borrow a par meter. Excited to check the stock lighting readings. Been going back and forth on lightning and this should help answer that for now.

Attachments

• IMG_2062.jpeg
    IMG_2062.jpeg
    232.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2060.mov
    17.1 MB
  • IMG_2061.jpeg
    IMG_2061.jpeg
    184.7 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
spielco

spielco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I now am understanding how it’s a never ending hobby…. Came home from work and the tank looked better than ever to me. Until I got a better look. One of the heads of my torch looked to be taken over by something. I assumed the whole brown jelly thing I’ve been reading about. After some research found out I believe it to be flatworm eggs. Neat.

Well I get to test my self a little now I guess and hope I have learnt some stuff in my research.

I removed the coral and created a dip process. I placed him in the dip for 8 min. Used air and a tooth brush to scrub the eggs off. Seemed to be able to remove all of what I felt was the desease. I rinsed him and placed it back into tank.

I don’t have a qt tank so I hope I’m not risking too much by this.

My tank seems to be do so great right now so I’m not sure what happened to get this problem.

I read it may have been stability issues in my newer tank which I’m leaning toward. I have raised my dkh over the last week or so to a stable but higher level than it was and I’m wondering if I did it to fast??

Still not 100% feeling that I know what I’m doing. But yet feel kinda confident. An eerie feeling.

I have 10g of water circulating and heated ready to go if something crazy makes a wild turn over night or so. I don’t know what to expect??

IMG_2085.jpeg

OP
OP
spielco

spielco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I now am understanding how it’s a never ending hobby…. Came home from work and the tank looked better than ever to me. Until I got a better look. One of the heads of my torch looked to be taken over by something. I assumed the whole brown jelly thing I’ve been reading about. After some research found out I believe it to be flatworm eggs. Neat.

Well I get to test my self a little now I guess and hope I have learnt some stuff in my research.

I removed the coral and created a dip process. I placed him in the dip for 8 min. Used air and a tooth brush to scrub the eggs off. Seemed to be able to remove all of what I felt was the desease. I rinsed him and placed it back into tank.

I don’t have a qt tank so I hope I’m not risking too much by this.

My tank seems to be do so great right now so I’m not sure what happened to get this problem.

I read it may have been stability issues in my newer tank which I’m leaning toward. I have raised my dkh over the last week or so to a stable but higher level than it was and I’m wondering if I did it to fast??

Still not 100% feeling that I know what I’m doing. But yet feel kinda confident. An eerie feeling.

I have 10g of water circulating and heated ready to go if something crazy makes a wild turn over night or so. I don’t know what to expect??

IMG_2085.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2122.jpeg
    IMG_2122.jpeg
    116 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2115.jpeg
    IMG_2115.jpeg
    291.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2114.jpeg
    IMG_2114.jpeg
    198.9 KB · Views: 31

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back