Are you prepared for clam spawning?

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn’t! I recently did a tank transfer and had two of my big noaes spawn as well as three maximas and two carpet anemones. Thankfully it was spaced out over three days and the system has enough water volume and invertebrate life on the rocks (sponges and bivalves) to handle it. Skimmer didn’t help much , it actually caused the skimmer to mostly stop skimming (I normally don’t even run a skimmer it was only temporary) and felt roller didn’t do too much either. I’ve ordered a few marineland micron filters for if this happens again.

Just a heads up!

Last edited:

musel101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know I have a couple of clams in my tank

Shigshwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might help to toss in a little carbon to help with any excessive nutrients too.

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn’t! I recently did a tank transfer and had two of my big noaes spawn as well as three maximas and two carpet anemones. Thankfully it was spaced out over three days and the system has enough water volume and invertebrate life on the rocks (sponges and bivalves) to handle it. Skimmer didn’t help much , it actually caused the skimmer to mostly stop skimming (I normally don’t even run a skimmer it was only temporary) and felt roller didn’t do too much either. I’ve ordered a few marineland micron filters for if this happens again.

Just a heads up!

Any update here @MartinM ? Do you have those spawning maximas still? It was rumored that's another example of a ditch survival of a dying clam as others on this page have said. My 2 week old maxima starting to do this today. It is about 6 inches so mature, but a replacement for an 5+ yr old one that died for an unknown reason. Curious if this is another example of early death as it is also open fairly wide.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back