ARE YOU SUCCESSFUL???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Something to ponder, or perhaps debate. I have thought to myself lately about success in reefing. What do we consider success, and how do we even measure it? Is it more of an emotional or psychological rite, or a sense that you have reached some point that you are completely content with? Or, does it pertain more to the inhabitants in the tank, and how happy and healthy they are, being more of a visual confirmation? Maybe it's simply a measure of time or volume? Can we say that after X amount of years, or gallons we’ve done it? We are "there?"

shutterstock_79429915_zpssqcrsh37.jpg

I know that there will always be levels of triumphs and setbacks throughout our time spent in this hobby. Even the finest reef tanks will inevitably cycle through many ups and downs. But is there a point that we can look at our tanks, reflect on ourselves, and claim that we are not just pulling it off anymore, but have achieved total success? And if so, what is that point, and when or how is it realized? The more I think about it, the more ambiguous it becomes to me, because this is an evolving hobby and our measures of success are evolving right along with it. If success is achieved, how long will it be till we need to build on or improve that level of success?

Ultimately I do believe it’s more of a personal realizing, than the kind of confirmation a tank full of thriving colonies can give you. Which is not to say that it can be a lot easier to feel you are there, when you have had a tank running for years and your coral is as healthy as it can be. But it may just boil down to whether you are a glass half full, or half empty kid of person. Is the thrill of the chase for success more satisfying than the actual sense of feeling successful? Or is true success possible or really even necessary at all?

success-on-mountain-top-shutterstock_115642099_zpsirsvsfwf.jpg

What do you think? At what point do we feel that we are successful reef keepers? And if we do finally get there, well then what comes next?

Last edited:

Flatlandreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO success is the ability to maintain a stable tank for months or a year at a time while seeing significant growth from your corals. I think success is also the ability to anticipate changes in your aquarium and understand changes that are occurring and have the knowledge and expierence to correct any negative trends before they impact the health of the tank. So far I am maintaining a tank but as a reefer I do not classify myself as having achieved success in the reef keeping hobby...

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One can be successful one day and have the whole thing crash the next. The successful hobbyist is one who pushes on thru the years and deals with the up and downs. When the tank is not looking the best and things are Tank of the Month perfect. Stick's it out till the tank turns a corner and becomes something more successful. Not quitting in this hobby makes one successful. As you learn more thru the failures and recoveries than you ever do thru having just a "Successful" tank. I really don't trust people's aquarium skills if they only have success as they have never really been tested thoroughly and might not know what to do or even how to handle it at all.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One can be successful one day and have the whole thing crash the next. The successful hobbyist is one who pushes on thru the years and deals with the up and downs. When the tank is not looking the best and things are Tank of the Month perfect. Stick's it out till the tank turns a corner and becomes something more successful. Not quitting in this hobby makes one successful. As you learn more thru the failures and recoveries than you ever do thru having just a "Successful" tank. I really don't trust people's aquarium skills if they only have success as they have never really been tested thoroughly and might not know what to do or even how to handle it at all.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
IMO success is the ability to maintain a stable tank for months or a year at a time while seeing significant growth from your corals. I think success is also the ability to anticipate changes in your aquarium and understand changes that are occurring and have the knowledge and expierence to correct any negative trends before they impact the health of the tank. So far I am maintaining a tank but as a reefer I do not classify myself as having achieved success in the reef keeping hobby...

That is an incredibly good point. The decision of when and how to act on quirks or larger tank issues, is one that is really only learned over time and through observation. Certainly the ability to know how to respond to any given situation in our tanks, is an achieved level of success without doubt.

thanks a lot for the post

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adam, I thoroughly enjoy reading your write ups and look forward to what you have to say. Thanks for another good read!

Success in this hobby is hard to measure. I say if one is able to bring livestock back from the brink and can anticipate changes to their system, then they're doing very well. Me, I'm content being able to grow coral of all kinds and keep fish fat and healthy. Been in this hobby for 14 years and I still learn something new every day.

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adam what a great topic, rather philosophical. Success is achieved in my opinion when we do the things necessary to keep the animal under our stewardship alive and well, providing a habitat as closely relating to their natural habitat as can be done in these glass boxes, dealing with all that entails and still enjoy the process. The level of success depends on your quest to be informed and knowledgeable. This hobby should not be a chore but fun and enjoyable if not it becomes stress, and what do we do with stress? We avoid it, definitely not rung on the ladder to success.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Successful is perspective man ! When I started I just wanted to keep acros alive and if they lived over a few months, I used to be happy and feel proud . Now my perspective have changed and I want them to grow to the size of basketball lolll!!!

I often dream of a day when I have a basketball sized BC Angelica, Oregon Tort , OG Purple Monster - that will be a day of celebration and true success for me which might take around 10 years lollll

Honestly, without exagerration, I would consider myself successful if I can achieve experience and success in growing acros like you do Adam - You are my Role Model and my measure of success .

Regards,
Abhishek

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To me, successful means you're persistent and diligent in progressing in this hobby to continue to learn and develop your knowledge and wisdom. I know that probably sounds cheesy but I would suggest that measuring based on results might do to deter individuals from trying new things and discovering new improved methods with which the rest of the community can benefit. Of course with this will come some set backs and learning experiences but so long as this hobby still excites you, no matter how your tank looks, I think that's a win.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Success for me was when I could look at my tank or corals endlessly and enjoy and be fascinated by the view. Happy corals and fish = happy Cheryl, that was the only success I needed.

wopadobop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Success to me is having the knowledge to react to my animals according to my observations and we really only learn these things through our failures. I like to view even my failures as small successes. As long as we can learn something from them i believe failures , big or small can lead to major breakthroughs in how we care for our animals.

F = FAil
A= access
I = implement the new knowledge gained
L= Learn

Keep failing!

Bryman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me, success is starting with a tank of 1" (or less) twigs and ending up with a tank of beautiful, brightly colored mature colonies. Getting to that point without any major crashes demonstrates that you can keep a stable environment long-term, and that in itself requires a lot of skill, dedication, patience, and a bit of luck.

Mael

Bridgeburner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had always gone by the old standard of a year or more of consistent parameters and livestock health to be considered successful.
Now I think there are different levels or definitions of success in our hobby. Especially after 6 months of struggle recently, having the last 1-2 show great growth, color and of course polyp extension(my greatest foe) makes me feel successful.......successful and dead scared for when the hammer drops and that next mistake or just something out of your control happens of course.

There is definitely a connection between pure personal happiness with how things are going and how successful you feel, regardless of when you try to put a solid definition or number criteria to meet a "hobby standard".

Are you happy with how things are? Are your inhabitants happy? Then in my book you are currently successful in your en devour.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I had always gone by the old standard of a year or more of consistent parameters and livestock health to be considered successful.
Now I think there are different levels or definitions of success in our hobby. Especially after 6 months of struggle recently, having the last 1-2 show great growth, color and of course polyp extension(my greatest foe) makes me feel successful.......successful and dead scared for when the hammer drops and that next mistake or just something out of your control happens of course.

There is definitely a connection between pure personal happiness with how things are going and how successful you feel, regardless of when you try to put a solid definition or number criteria to meet a "hobby standard".

Are you happy with how things are? Are your inhabitants happy? Then in my book you are currently successful in your en devour.

Great stuff guys! I very much agree that a happy reef tends to equal a happy reefer. Excellent point and post. To me sometimes just walking up there as I do every morning, and not be greeted by a swath of white skeletons feels like success. The little things can be quite satisfying as well. LOL

Pauley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wowsers...a provocative question with lots of provocative answers.
In my modest (if not somewhat jaded) opinion, a reefer is really just the embodiment of Sisyphus. For most of us, something, often beyond our control or perception, will eventually trash our reef. It happens to the best of us and the worst of us (though not necessarily with the same frequency). In my opinion, it’s a perpetual cycle - a function of time; or, as the poet Steve Earle once said: “hey hey hey...the balance comes due some day”. So, I try to remember that I voluntarily engage in this hobby because it makes me happy. Success to me is finding that happiness in the process. Tending the garden, so to speak, is the reward even more so than the harvest. Regardless of where my tank is at a given time, success is me continuing to grow, participate, and keep deriving enjoyment from the hobby. Or maybe I just tell myself that, so when something goes wrong, I don’t snap and burn the house down. Ha!
In any case, we all know that true success in this hobby is managing to keep both the reef and the spouse happy simultaneously.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Wowsers...a provocative question with lots of provocative answers.
In my modest (if not somewhat jaded) opinion, a reefer is really just the embodiment of Sisyphus. For most of us, something, often beyond our control or perception, will eventually trash our reef. It happens to the best of us and the worst of us (though not necessarily with the same frequency). In my opinion, it’s a perpetual cycle - a function of time; or, as the poet Steve Earle once said: “hey hey hey...the balance comes due some day”. So, I try to remember that I voluntarily engage in this hobby because it makes me happy. Success to me is finding that happiness in the process. Tending the garden, so to speak, is the reward even more so than the harvest. Regardless of where my tank is at a given time, success is me continuing to grow, participate, and keep deriving enjoyment from the hobby. Or maybe I just tell myself that, so when something goes wrong, I don’t snap and burn the house down. Ha!
In any case, we all know that true success in this hobby is managing to keep both the reef and the spouse happy simultaneously.

Excellent post. In my case at least it most defiantly is a perpetual cycle. One day I am the king of all that I see, and the next I am in the swamp with the rest of them lol. One could argue that to keep one single coral alive, would constitute total success.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 91 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back