ARE YOU SUCCESSFUL???

Discussion in 'Battlecorals' started by Battlecorals, Feb 5, 2018.

1. JoshH

JoshH Swimming in the deep end... R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor

This for me... As mentioned above, a measure of success is definitely more related to a reefers experience and goals. Maintaining consistant parameters and finally defeating the algae in my tank was my first measure of success. For me right now, watching my first few corals thrive is being successful. Down the road, maintaining large colonies might be my new measurement of success. So I would say where you are in your reefing journey will dictate what you feel is being successful which will be different for everyone.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    Tautog and Mael like this.

2. c2l2parker

c2l2parker Member

Success for me is when the joy of viewing my tank each day outweighs the angst of some animal dying for an unknown reason during the night. It took a while but fortunately I have reached that level for the last 3-4 years.

3. Tautog

Tautog Valuable Member

Great read Adam! Funny Question?
    Success is only achieved with TIME !
    In the reef hobby, success happens and can be measured by how well the caretaker notices, reacts, and ultimately cures the issue. Success can be measured in growth, reproduction, and extension. So successful reef communities would be considered totally successful when their self maintained. Unfortunately, in a closed system the caretaker becomes the variable, and the human error destroys its own success!!!

4. dankreef

dankreef Well-Known Member

Successful means a lot of blood sweat and tears. Starting not knowing and learning how the hobby works. Find out about QT, dinos, HA, rtn and then start over with a bigger tank, followed up by avoiding all of the previous problems and growing out frags to colonies in a big fresh tank round2. Being able to avoid or fix quickly any issues.

5. HolisticBear

HolisticBear Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

+1 Really liked this

6. Bouncingsoul39

Bouncingsoul39 Well-Known Member

Reminds me of Scott Felman's musings here. For me, reefing success is having healthy fish with good body weight. exhibiting natural behaviors and showing no signs of stress. Having healthy corals with colors appropriate for their color morph or strain. Lastly, maintaining excellent water quality within acceptable parameters.

Battlecorals likes this.
  7. Battlecorals

Battlecorals Aquaculturist R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

That's a really good point. I too think that the ability to recognize and address issued before they happen, or become bigger issues is defiantly a measure of success.

8. NS Mike D

NS Mike D Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

In this lifetime you don't need to prove anything to anybody, except yourself .....

IMO, meaningful success, is self-defined. The winner of a marathon is greeted to loud cheers and congratulations, as well is the final runner to finish. I was/am always intrigued by that. Certainly the winner has achieved success through hard work, training, pain, set backs etc. But why do we cheer the final runner?

I think because, in many ways, the last runner has achieved the same success through hard work, training, pain, set backs etc. and on some level more since he/she knows he/she would not win, but rather set out for no other reason but for the personal glory of setting a high goal and doing it.

My favorite passage by Teddy Roosevelt

The Man in the Arena

It is not the critic who counts;
    not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles,
    or where the doer of deeds could have done them better.
    The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena,
    whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood;
    who strives valiantly; who errs,
    who comes short again and again,
    because there is no effort without error and shortcoming;
    but who does actually strive to do the deeds;
    who knows great enthusiasms,
    the great devotions;
    who spends himself in a worthy cause;
    who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement,
    and who at the worst,
    if he fails,
    at least fails while daring greatly,
    so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

Success is elusive and fleeting. Enjoy the triumphs and may your losses be while daring greatly.

Draft saved Draft deleted