Are younger clownfish more difficult to keep?

PugsAndFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to pick up a pair of clownfish for a 10 gallon tank. These fish will be the first inhabitants. This is my first tank and I plan to keep a pair of clowns, a shrimp, corals, and a third fish if possible.

My LFS has really tiny clownfish. I'd say they are about .75 - 1 inches. I want to get these because they are super cute and smaller fish make sense for a smaller tank. Are smaller clownfish more difficult to keep or should I get some larger ones?

Also, which type is best? I want to keep an anemone sometime in the future and would love for the clowns to host. What species don't usually host?

I'm leaning towards the "basic" orange and white one.

LatinKing

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Clownfish" my favorite fish! Ok clownfish are hardy fish and easy to keep in a well establish aquarium.

Recommended tank size for clownfish is a 20 gallon. So larger Clownfish in a 10 gallon is not sufficient room. Tiny clownfish will grow and eventually you will have to move them to a larger tank. Tiny clownfish diet require small food. So before you purchase these clownfish, make sure you find out from the seller what they are eating. Good luck with those tiny clownfish. Post pics once you have them in there new home.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience tiny clownfish are no harder to keep than bigger clownfish. Actually probably a little easier, as they are less aggressive and don't scare eachother to jump out of the tank. They are a very hardy fish.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tiny clowns are sweet and goofy. You'll enjoy them. BTW, don't get freaked out if you see them sleep upside down or on their side. They also may swim like that when they first wake up.

OP
OP
PugsAndFish

PugsAndFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great! My wife also loves the tiny ones. It should be fun and rewarding seeing them grow. I'll be upgrading to a 40 breeder (or something similar in a couple of months) so room shouldn't be an issue.

Also, I'm a bit confused about oscellaris vs perculas and then there are the true and false. Is the only thing different about each one aesthetic?

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns grow really slow, you are safe to plan out fully the 40b and to properly cycle :).

I like false simply because there are more natural morphs based on their wide range.

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
PugsAndFish

PugsAndFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back