Argumentative people in this hobby.. ever come accross them ? In person

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So has anyone come across these people in the hobby in person ?

Today when at a local fish store. A guy walked in and wanted 6 t5 bulbs. He Didnt know what to get so a dude i know who works in another store said to just get all blue plus.

I mentioned that that will be too blue and corals use full spectrum of lighting. He said Thats just my opinion... and thus it started with me because that was rude...

I mean isnt it his opinion to get all blues ??? So why would he make a smart butt comment like that to me zbout my opinion ?

So he started saying he uses all blue plus and grows corals healthy and fine. I told him sure they will grow under blue plus.. but that still doesnt negate the fact that most corals are shallow water and use full spectrum lightining. I know studies show blue.uv is what the coral uses most. But that still doesnt negate the fact that im right.

Specially on being too blue.. all blue plus washes out corals. Washes out fish.. looks ugly.. and yes as he said thats my opinion. But the guy asked what would grow corals best.. and also look the best

And i suggested 3 or 4 blue plus and 2 or 3 coral plus. Maybe suppliment some blue leds. Or a blue or coral plus for an actinic.. although blue plus has some actinic uv in it.

The guy then started saying he was a marine biologist.. lol. He works ina dirty fish store in a run down part of town lol... i asked if hes ever been snorkaling or diving before and he said no. Then proceeds to get caught ul in his words

Yea marine biologist.. maybe a marine biologist in his house and mind but thats it.. sure.. Still doesnt negate the fact i am right about the full spectrum lighting..

Had to leave the store before it got really argumentative because he kept negating everything i was saying.. even when i agreed all blue will grow corals, its just ugly snd doesnt provide the full range of light.. i just simply said itll be ugly and some coral plus bulbs will give you the full spectrum light youre missing..

Few people i know dislike this guy because he is very condensening and keeps talking like he lnows it sll and is very persusive and manipulative to where most people actually believe him.

Not saying im right about everything.. but i know im right about this subject.

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Today when at a local fish store. A guy walked in and wanted 6 t5 bulbs. He Didnt know what to get so a dude i know who works in another store said to just get all blue plus.

I mentioned that that will be too blue and corals use full spectrum of lighting. He said Thats just my opinion... and thus it started with me because that was rude...

I mean isnt it his opinion to get all blues ??? So why would he make a smart butt comment like that to me zbout my opinion ?

So he started saying he uses all blue plus and grows corals healthy and fine. I told him sure they will grow under blue plus.. but that still doesnt negate the fact that most corals are shallow water and use full spectrum lightining. I know studies show blue.uv is what the coral uses most. But that still doesnt negate the fact that im right.

Specially on being too blue.. all blue plus washes out corals. Washes out fish.. looks ugly.. and yes as he said thats my opinion. But the guy asked what would grow corals best.. and also look the best

And i suggested 3 or 4 blue plus and 2 or 3 coral plus. Maybe suppliment some blue leds. Or a blue or coral plus for an actinic.. although blue plus has some actinic uv in it.

The guy then started saying he was a marine biologist.. lol. He works ina dirty fish store in a run down part of town lol... i asked if hes ever been snorkaling or diving before and he said no. Then proceeds to get caught ul in his words

Yea marine biologist.. maybe a marine biologist in his house and mind but thats it.. sure.. Still doesnt negate the fact i am right about the full spectrum lighting..

Had to leave the store before it got really argumentative because he kept negating everything i was saying.. even when i agreed all blue will grow corals, its just ugly snd doesnt provide the full range of light.. i just simply said itll be ugly and some coral plus bulbs will give you the full spectrum light youre missing..

Few people i know dislike this guy because he is very condensening and keeps talking like he lnows it sll and is very persusive and manipulative to where most people actually believe him.

11th Paragraph is a large percentage of people in this hobby lol

OP
OP
S

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol .. sorry i type alot. It just drive me insaine how this (marine biologist) was actually dismissing the idea and said corals only use blue lighhe said im throwing infirmation at him and its all wrong..

And yes its like this in all walks of life.. but i sware its 10x worse in this hobby..

The other night a guy took the store owners fish and convinced him thr fish had flukes so he dipped it in fresh water.. and used a turkey baster to blow on the fish... then the bucket had lots of things floating in the water... guy was convinced and convinced everyone it was flukes blowing off lol.

I said thise arent flukes and to take a closer look and he got all upset..... but then it turned out to be mysis shrimp from the turkey bastor lol in the bucket and the fish had lymphocystis..

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol .. sorry i type alot. It just drive me insaine how this (marine biologist) was actually dismissing the idea and said corals only use blue lighhe said im throwing infirmation at him and its all wrong..

And yes its like this in all walks of life.. but i sware its 10x worse in this hobby..

The other night a guy took the store owners fish and convinced him thr fish had flukes so he dipped it in fresh water.. and used a turkey baster to blow on the fish... then the bucket had lots of things floating in the water... guy was convinced and convinced everyone it was flukes blowing off lol.

I said thise arent flukes and to take a closer look and he got all upset..... but then it turned out to be mysis shrimp from the turkey bastor lol in the bucket and the fish had lymphocystis..
I type a lot too I wasn’t trying to be mean lol. Yes I think it is worse in this hobby for some reasons people think they’re just too legit. Sadly sometimes you’ve gotta put up with their bull because they’re the only person you can get livestock from... that’s how it was for me until I found my current supplier.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep its pathetic at best.
I get it from alot of people I talk to, including the know it all lfs, because I run Halides and do not do scheduled water changes.
What stops most is, lets see a pic of your tank! Most of the time they wont show you one. Sometimes they will and their tanks are always going through one thing or another, including the lfs.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't give my opinion especially in a LFS unless someone asks me. Then if he wants to argue to me, say he wants to use saw dust in his reef instead of seawater, I just say OK, Have a nice day. :cool:

mermaid_life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YES. Early on in this hobby (and sometimes now still) I refused to go into a LFS on my own. Thank goodness for forums like this one where you can do research rather than face the condescension or argumentative ppl in real life ;Nailbiting

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only recently been going back to a handful of LFS and when it comes to the discussions I over hear by some store employees and patrons, it's a wonder they are still in business or have viable tanks.
I smile make my purchase and leave.

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was younger, I used to not let things like that go and make my opinion clear. Now that I’m a bit “cough cough” older, I go Paul’s route and drop it. Not worth my time or stress. I give my opinion and if they want to argue, have a nice day.

FWIW, I recall watching a video of JF corals and he was running all Blue+ bulbs. He seems to be doing well. That said, he does it purely to grow and sell corals. I would NEVER run my tank that way. o_O

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You're a saint lol. I would have issued a firm **** in person after a point lol

OP
OP
S

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats funny is i showed him (the guy i was mentioning what lights i would oersonally get) and then that rude guy wanted to see.. and he kinds blew it away like it was nothing.. but he never showed me his tank
Yep its pathetic at best.
I get it from alot of people I talk to, including the know it all lfs, because I run Halides and do not do scheduled water changes.
What stops most is, lets see a pic of your tank! Most of the time they wont show you one. Sometimes they will and their tanks are always going through one thing or another, including the lfs.

Attachments

• 20201129_183030.jpg
    20201129_183030.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 17

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This took me back....and ya, it's highly annoying....anyway enjoy!

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Something about a pot and a kettle here and their respective albido.

Go buy a full spectrum metal halide growth light or full spectrum T5 growth bulb (for plants). They are typically 6000k and 'full spectrum'. Put them on your tank...see how it looks. Nice and yellow......

Plasma sulfur is the only true 'full spectrum' light by actual proper technical application that were used on reef tanks and that trend died a decade ago.

Every knockout 'oh my god that's awesome' SPS showtank I've seen in my life is dominated by 450nm light by spectrum. At least 85% if not not more. I can show you the spectral graphs to prove it. I know a couple guys running nice T5 tanks closer to 14k because they have one or two 10k bulbs in it, but they augment it with those goofy Fiji bulbs with a lot of red to offset the green. Still...aint full spectrum.

Basically the guy you were arguing with was right, but you didn't like it and are being chuffy about it.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something about a pot and a kettle here and their respective albido.

Go buy a full spectrum metal halide growth light or full spectrum T5 growth bulb (for plants). They are typically 6000k and 'full spectrum'. Put them on your tank...see how it looks. Nice and yellow......

Plasma sulfur is the only true 'full spectrum' light by actual proper technical application that were used on reef tanks and that trend died a decade ago.

Every knockout 'oh my god that's awesome' SPS showtank I've seen in my life is dominated by 450nm light by spectrum. At least 85% if not not more. I can show you the spectral graphs to prove it. I know a couple guys running nice T5 tanks closer to 14k because they have one or two 10k bulbs in it, but they augment it with those goofy Fiji bulbs with a lot of red to offset the green. Still...aint full spectrum.

Basically the guy you were arguing with was right, but you didn't like it and are being chuffy about it.
14k halides no supplement.
20201231_192042.jpg
Also I use 600 watt ushio 7k halides to veg/grow plants and they are anything but yellow. Actually white with a blue tint.
Cant post pics here though.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished hanging my OR3 blue plus light bar.
Here is a pic. The halides wash it out.
I will take a pic when lights go out and post.
These thing really POP as they say, lol.
You can see the blue tint on the back wall.
20210102_190402.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 32.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back