Arm Coarse Media for reactor. What changed.

  • Thread starter Thread starter chicago
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 28, 2014
Messages
1,775
Reaction score
569
Location
chicago
What state or country do you live in
Illinois
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts on this suff. One is much different than the other.. one on the right is a year old ..
any input thanks
media one.jpg
media two.jpg
 
That’s a good plan. Will do
 
The high magnesium stuff could be dolomite.

My last batch of arm looked like crunched up larger pieces of coral. It melts and works just fine. I bought a 50 pound sack, so no idea if it said "high magnesium" on it. I find no difference between ARM medium, ARM large or reborn... I just get whatever is cheaper when I need a 50 lb sack again.
 
The left is dolomite, the right is coral skeletons.
 
Why would we use 100 percent Dolomite?
 
If you have an SPS tank and need the mag as a buffer you might use dolomite instead of dosing.
 
I Need to be more clear why change the media to 100 percent Dolomite. I have used a few cups worth but looks like it’s being sold to be used as 100 percent in the reactor.
 
The only reason I can see to run it is if you have a high magnesium demand and want to try using 1 product. For me I run the coarse Reborn media and Zeo mag. A ratio 90% Reborn and 10% Zeo
 
Dolomite will work, it just has more magnesium in it. I find any natural media (ARM or Reborn) to have enough mag by themselves and have no reason to use dolomite. You could get too much magnesium if you run dolomite alone - most people mix it with regular aragonite. I used dolomite when I tried some man made calcium carbonate which had no mag or other traces in it.
 
Hmmm. Wondering why manufacturer does not state more specifics. But New specs. On label.
 
That probably is not dolomite then... I would have expected a lot more mag. It is probably just smashed up calcium carbonate rock that looks like smashed up dolomite.
 
I’ll let you know when I hear back from caribeasea
 
I know the dolomite one takes a lot lower pH to melt. I threw that away.
 
If this is in fact simply dolomite.. that is a problem.. I will find out from Caribsea..
 
emailed them .. lets see what they say..
 
I stopped using ARM, the new stuff just doesn’t dissolve like the obvious coral skeletons did. It looks to me like a tub of Pea gravel. I started using their Florida crushed coral sand instead. Works better and costs about 1/10 of the ARM stuff.
 
the new stuff is for sure not coral skeletons..
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 3 4.5%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 26.9%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 28.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 9 13.4%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.0%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 6.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new