Designing a new media reactor

ben.b

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 5, 2026
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! I'm an engineering student looking into designing a new (ish) type of media reactor for a project. I'm essentially looking into making the media change process quicker and easier. Going into the project, I had no prior experience with reef tanks, though I understand the plumbing and concepts. The idea is to implement a single-use non-refillable cartridge pre-stocked with different types of media (intended for 75-300gal tanks) so you can simply swap out cartridges when they're spent. The current model doesn't have a pump or timer (like a brita filter indicator) attached, but we are considering adding them to the design. Any media reactor users have any initial thoughts / questions / be willing to do to a short interview for the project? I would also be happy to hear any major complaints about media reactors in general, so we could (maybe) fix them on ours.

thanks :)

tl;dr, designing a media reactor and could use some feedback!



image.png
 
Tunze (COMLINE) and Mareineland (Magnum) have (or have had) filters that works somewhat like this....you might get some ideas from looking those up. They are refillable, of course.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new