Armored Seams

Sassafras

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the planning stages of another aquarium, about 12'LX3'WX2.5'H, and am considering one of the manufacturers who offers "armored" seams. I would appreciate hearing opinions from any of you out there who have a tank with armored, or reinforced, vertical seams. I understand the positive value of protecting the silicone in the corners from damage, and even the degree of seam strength that might be gained with reinforcement, but is there a down side? I turned up a thread where someone complained that the corners couldn't be cleaned easily with armored seams, but I don't think that would be an issue for me. For those of you that have them, do you love them or are there negatives? Thanks for any input you care to offer.

OP
OP
Sassafras

Sassafras

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump! Anyone out there with an armored seam tank?

Reefin Aint Easy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have them on my tank and I think they are very beneficial if you like getting close to the silicone corners with a scraper. They are easy to clean except the coralline algae because you don't want to use a scraper on them (obviously) and it doesn't come off easily with a scrub pad. My opinion is if you can get them on your tank, do it!

OP
OP
Sassafras

Sassafras

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks REA, It looks like there are three different designs. One with two strips of glass siliconed into the corners, another with a triangular prism-shaped gusset siliconed into the corner, and a third with a rectangular piece about 3/4"X3/4" by the length of the seam. Which design do you have?

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a tank with the triangle glass in the seems. Only down side I would say is visually the silicone is allot wider. See in the photo left side of tank has a large black strip. Honestly I don’t even notice it anymore. I don’t know if I would by another tank without the armored seems.

6647BAB6-3036-40FC-AD70-1687E50AA68F.png

OP
OP
Sassafras

Sassafras

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the prevailing opinion is positive and no one seems to be trying to talk me out of it. With black silicone, I don't mind the thicker edge look.

rickster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a reef savvy tank with the armored seams. their great but keep in mind coraline algae will cover them, so If you don't mind that. they absolutely give you peace of mind knowing your tank seams are the best and will never leak...

Reefin Aint Easy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks REA, It looks like there are three different designs. One with two strips of glass siliconed into the corners, another with a triangular prism-shaped gusset siliconed into the corner, and a third with a rectangular piece about 3/4"X3/4" by the length of the seam. Which design do you have?

I have the triangle shaped ones that sit into the corner & silicone.

OP
OP
Sassafras

Sassafras

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input! You have helped convince me that armored is the way to go.

mandarin417

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered a Planet Aquarium tank and made sure they had seam protectors. My last tank's silicone was trashed after getting to close cleaning the glass.

ReefCheef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the planning stages of another aquarium, about 12'LX3'WX2.5'H, and am considering one of the manufacturers who offers "armored" seams. I would appreciate hearing opinions from any of you out there who have a tank with armored, or reinforced, vertical seams. I understand the positive value of protecting the silicone in the corners from damage, and even the degree of seam strength that might be gained with reinforcement, but is there a down side? I turned up a thread where someone complained that the corners couldn't be cleaned easily with armored seams, but I don't think that would be an issue for me. For those of you that have them, do you love them or are there negatives? Thanks for any input you care to offer.
I see absolutely no reason not to get armored seams if you can afford it. You have to be willing (and able) to put your arm in to manually clean them because the magnet obviously doesn't get them, but other than that they add structural integrity to big tanks and look good IMO it's a no brainer

LVReefer94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Armored seams are an absolute must for me now, i could never go back to not having them. It always ne to get aggressive with the algae scraper with no worries.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 142 60.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 65 27.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 83 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.0%
Back