Arrow Crab Confirm

ReefHunter006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone confirm that this is an arrow crab that is reef safe? Never seen this thorny variety. Bout 2” wide.

IMG_2626.jpeg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, looks like a "Frilly Arrow Crab," which I've seen sold as Podochela species or even as Stenorhynchus seticornis (the regular "Arrow Crab" in the hobby) - Podochela is closer (and Podochela species likely are collected and sold regularly as Frilly Arrow Crabs), but as far as I can tell, this crab is actually the "False Arrow Crab," Metoporhaphis calcarata.

OP
OP
ReefHunter006

ReefHunter006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, looks like a "Frilly Arrow Crab," which I've seen sold as Podochela species or even as Stenorhynchus seticornis (the regular "Arrow Crab" in the hobby) - Podochela is closer (and Podochela species likely are collected and sold regularly as Frilly Arrow Crabs), but as far as I can tell, this crab is actually the "False Arrow Crab," Metoporhaphis calcarata.
Reef safe?

moretor1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mr magic man of wisdom, pls ID my Crab

I was 99% sure it was Podochela spp but the false Arrow crab looks fairly similar as well. Can't find any good photos of them tho that show the differences

Attachments

• 20240229_222228.mp4
    119.2 MB

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mr magic man of wisdom, pls ID my Crab

I was 99% sure it was Podochela spp but the false Arrow crab looks fairly similar as well. Can't find any good photos of them tho that show the differences
Yeah, Inachid crabs (taxonomic family Inachidae; including Metoporhaphis calcarata and Podochela species) are tough to tell apart without careful examination.

The most easily spotted difference between these two is the spikes jutting out of the knees of Metoporhaphis calcarata; Podochela species don't have the prominent spikes on the knees like you can see on the OP's specimen.

I don't see any spikes on your specimen, so it may be a Podochela (or other Inachid) species, but it doesn't appear to be Metoporhaphis calcarata.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 165 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back