Arrow crab stages??

SaltwaterFriends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made this account to ask if anyone has bred Arrow Crabs before? We had brittle stars, fire worms, tube worms, bristle worms as hitchhikers in the live rock but now there is hundreds of tiny things running all over. The arrow crabs had babies twice and is pregnant again. The tadpoles were swimming on top and then vanished both times. Now I’m seeing all sorts of critters in different stages.

OP
OP
S

SaltwaterFriends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made this account to ask if anyone has bred Arrow Crabs before? We had brittle stars, fire worms, tube worms, bristle worms as hitchhikers in the live rock but now there is hundreds of tiny things running all over. The arrow crabs had babies twice and is pregnant again. The tadpoles were swimming on top and then vanished both times. Now I’m seeing all sorts of critters in different stages.

Attachments

• IMG_4509.MOV
    18.7 MB
OP
OP
S

SaltwaterFriends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m trying to add videos but idk why they’re blank

Attachments

• IMG_4381.MOV
    11.8 MB
  • IMG_4508.MOV
    35 MB
  • IMG_4293.MOV
    13.1 MB
  • FullSizeRender.MOV
    26.6 MB
  • FullSizeRender.mov
    8 MB
  • FullSizeRender.mov
    12.7 MB

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m trying to add videos but idk why they’re blank
I can see the videos, but they come through as downloads. Another option is to upload them to YouTube and then share the YouTube link.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if any hobbyists have reared arrow crabs before, but it has been done in laboratory settings using Baby Brine Shrimp (Artemia nauplii):

OP
OP
S

SaltwaterFriends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not baby arrow crabs, im not too sure if arrow crab larvae survives long in home aquaria, Ive had many spawn in our tanks and never seen any after the eggs disappear. In your videos those are amphipods aka scud
I know it is rare to successfully breed Arrow Crabs and there is nothing I find only past the tadpole stage. Thank you for your help!

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not baby arrow crabs, im not too sure if arrow crab larvae survives long in home aquaria, Ive had many spawn in our tanks and never seen any after the eggs disappear. In your videos those are amphipods aka scuds
Yeah, they're pelagic larvae, so they wouldn't last long in most home aquaria (predation, equipment, etc. would all decrease their numbers). OP, if you're wanting to breed these guys, you'll need to pull the larvae out of the display tank into a rearing tank to protect them as they grow. (Keep us updated on how it goes if you try it - I love these sorts of things).

Here's a link to a public PDF of the full paper I linked above - the full paper goes into some more details both on keeping the female broodstock and on the rearing of the larvae: https://www.researchgate.net/public..._Brachyura_Inachidae_reared_in_the_laboratory

OP
OP
S

SaltwaterFriends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if any hobbyists have reared arrow crabs before, but it has been done in laboratory settings using Baby Brine Shrimp (Artemia nauplii):
That is so interesting! Our crab has continually been pregnant
I kind of want to try it now haha. Any time!
since we got the male crab, the female was fertilized and had babies about two weeks later. That night she had them, her eggs returned and were again fertilized. She had another brood and is pregnant currently. I never thought it would be as reoccurring. Another video attached shows the varies sizes and kinds of life I’ve been seeing lately

Back