Article gold data: things that have not been measured regarding bacteria in reefing

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So each day on every forum on the web there are questions about bacteria and what they require, don't require, tolerate and will not tolerate. And 99% of the answers are unmeasured, they're recirculated info for decades regarding marine cycle/filtration aerobes and they're not measured using today's highly accurate devices like seneye and mindstream

most of our data is colorimetric interpretations, where partial readings and questions of accuracy are 100% valid tank to tank.

here are some things we have never measured in reef threads, yet hundreds of people have the gear to measure it/post data/ and either write articles from that info or have others write them

has been measured and posted before:

-completely live rock fallow testing is out there. You can find posts where live rock was taken offline, put into a vat in a garage to cure with circulation and topoff but no feed, and immediately able to pass oxidation testing after 3 years. 36 mos is longest post Ive seen, from DJ City. Nano-reef.com poster dandelion has a 2 year test mark of dry rocks brought to full cycle, the fallowed for 2 yrs, then passing oxidation testing over nite like a real cycled reef.

-Dr. Reef's bottle bac thread has proven the viability of bottle bac in several ways. One notable find from his thread was that most strains are depositing onto surfaces within a day or two when dosed, and the system can endure a full water change and still pass oxidation, which proves deposition and not just items floating in suspension. He found out which strains cycle the fastest, and the averages for the other groups. I have yet to see a bottle bac sold that wasn't a viable brand, we have fish-in cycling to confirm this across brand names as well.

-We have seen some limited testing where bottle bac dosed into a system and then kept mostly capped off/not open topped/wasn't able to oxidize a small ammonia sample after a year in wait. we don't know if they emerged/became undormant after a few days, or if ever, but initial testing showed not much ability if the bac don't get an initial kick of feed from the aquarist (in a closed off system)

-the timeframe of 30 days is a rough measure for marine bacteria cycling. Any cycling chart you pull from google, regardless of origin or country, has about 30 days as the operating timeframe. Its known that just about any combination of living materials and feed arranged in saltwater + 30 days time arrives at a tank able to handle an initial bioload. There has been longstanding data to support that all cycles are done by day 30

-Dr Reef's bottle bac thread has testing for high level ammonia during a cycle 8 ppm, not affecting the bottle bac or final cycle dates. There is a rolling claim that ammonia spikes kill/stall cycles. how high must we go to actually attain that?

-AquaBiomics' DNA testing has broken ground on bacterial classes and clades/ expression in reef tanks in ways we hadn't seen before.

has not been measured and posted before:

******readings taken digitally by seneye or mindstream, ALL of our current data is API and it would be amazing to get clear low level answers to even basic cycling questions

-the unassisted cycle for marine tanks. Fill up an aquarium with water, décor (all dry) and let it sit there X number of days until it self-cycles (can oxidize a reasonable amount of ammonia in 24 hours when tested)<----whether that can even occur is hotly debated among reefers and sages. *this undeniably works in fw systems, where inoculants are found all over nature and home; but if you're landlocked, Kansas for example, are marine inoculants to be found? are they dormant anywhere, does any conversion or shifting occur where somehow bacteria shift and take on work in marine environments?

Can nitrite levels (high) stall a cycle?-stated online by sages, not ever measured nor documented for laypersons. make a thread showing how nitrite spikes stalled a cycle in an aquarium with rocks and sand. Show ammonia control being affected by typical cycling nitrites, not using api but seneye.

-how long bottle bac dosed into an aquarium and fed with ammonia a few times can go without re-feeding, a variation of fallow testing. ****currently the biggest guess going on in reefing, 100% of advisors state they must be fed or they’ll starve

-Linked cycling: can you link a totally dry marine system to a full running one, wait X number of days, unlink, and the new system fully passes cycling testing for ammonia? if so, what does that say about water and suspended bacteria frequency ********edit/mythbusted see work thread below.

-does caribsea sand show up live? does pre rinsing it remove the bac, and make it fail the same test that originally shows it comes alive (able to oxidize ammonia) in the bag? <----------10,000 reefers claim it will kill it. none of us know, its literally never been tested.

this is an example of a post where people have guesses, but nobody measures. we need some measurement work done in our hobby

Last edited:
OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im amazed the sand stuff hasn't been tested. @BRS could do it easily yep

*ask a bacteria question on ANY forum in reefing, you get a bunch of for-sure answers, and not any are vetted for accuracy. Im frankly surprised a group of discerning aquarists have allowed this for twenty years +

it would be amazing to get some final says in this thread, though. Id accept even API ones, we usually do have to settle for the api readings but its better than zero readings and all guesses.

Last edited:
OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bump because we as a team have no data on the most basic questions in reefing but all of us have typed bacterial advice to others. It's armchair quarterbacking en masse

To not have these answers generates extra sales, people buy for peace of mind to replace simple, clear measures. we can find threads by hundreds of posters dosing bottle bac to fully matured live rock, to replace the bac certainly killed on the ride home. Or when moving reefs between homes, just in case

Not having the simple answers and a product to stand in is causing us to fund other people's corvette payments

Even article writers wrote articles without covering the basics by measure

A nylon bag and some caribsea sand and a canister filter filled up, paint bucket of .5 ppm free ammonia and you get first documented measure of what three hundred thousand people guess about but have never bothered to test.

Here alone we have probably eighty seneye owners, and as many mindstream ammonia digital tester owners. Can you imagine not subjective titration, a mix of partial yellow in green, but digital clear answer measures

owners of powerful measure, don't settle for this guessing

Last edited:
OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK non testers/bac positors :) lets add this one-how much peroxide does it take, and in what kind of application method, to render a section of surface area no longer able to oxidize ammonia

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could assign projects of discovery, for that one above I'd specifically nominate TMZ and Disc-1 or BrianD from reefcentral. they could even build the thread there w measures, we'd link to it here thats not a problem for reef2reef, we want real data. If any of you know them, email them this link so they’ll be able to read the material. Ask for input, on my behalf

Take a section of tested reef surface area that oxidizes ammonia, apply peroxide in 2 or 3 gradient steps using 3% and a digital ammonia measure, post what you got

can 3% even affect reef substrates at all regarding basic cycles? reef substrates, not glass slides.

*somebody else, name something you've ever wanted to know regarding reef bacteria but nobody can answer/can't locate a measure thread

In reef forums, everyone is a bacteria pro. Ask for measure, silence

Last edited:
OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can any of the top microbiologists in reefing science answer any one of these with a work link>documented thread they made (not an article citation)

AquaBiomics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These all sound testable... I am not aware of any complete answers at the moment.

I'll comment my live rock article shows dry rock takes >1 month but that is pretty widely accepted anyway I think.

For my own experiments, I'm prioritizing questions that can be answered relatively quickly.

My capacity for DNA analysis is much higher than my capacity for experiments, but I'm eager to help the reefing community answer these questions with DNA testing. If anyone plans an experiment, message me and we can talk about getting it tested.

Thanks for bringing this up, I couldn't agree more about the need for experiments in reefkeeping.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you tons that is awesome I know you have strong resources, very helpful!

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this thread, we consider the possibility of testing one of the factors above, are any readers out there willing to produce a measure for us on things currently not measured in the hobby but where definitive answers are routine

Last edited:
OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whether or not a skimmer slows or stops a cycle has not been measured look at the debate here with our RC friends

we know skimmers remove bac from suspension, do they slow a cycle, do they push back your allowed start date

I’m trying to show a trend how we’ve been reefing for a good thirty years in the hobby but we don’t have really super basic answers of what bacteria can tolerate and what they can’t
We guess, and try and predict.

nitrite is a huge stumbling block for them there I noticed. A lot of partial answers, nobody sounds confident. nobody has any calibration approaches for the api, if it says nitrite then the stumble begins. Jonathan has the best plan in there I think. He’s commenting on cross reading issues for today’s nitrite testing.

Simply agreeing on a viable start date for that particular cycle hasn’t been reached. If that aquarist had to present the tank for MACNA, the deadline would be missed.

but somehow, at major marine aquarium conventions, 100% of entrants start with able reefs on the same day, food for thought. I want to know if MACNA entrants care about nitrite and if they just close up shop and don’t show up if it’s there. Marine conventions all complete their reef setups on time, our advice to posters doesn’t seem as tidy. It’s a bunch of maybes and ifs and we have no direct articles to state if using a skimmer pushes back a start date for a given cycle

this is a very detailed article on measuring bacteria in water it will be fascinating to compare it with updated sample techniques of today

Last edited:
OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That is the first cycling test I know of in reefing that clearly defines that nitrifiers are present in reef water, and transmit actively, within the timeframes of cycling charts. headway has been made by Tuffloud.

Aquabiomics has already measured nitrifiers in water, we wanted to find a way hobbyists could see that at home with their gear and measure the speed against known reference charts/all google cycling charts. If im not mistaken, this was a bit quicker than the charts.

****when you see cycling videos online that say tank water doesn't have much bacteria, you can see now that's not true*** turns out you don't need to buy bacteria, if linking and 20 days is avail.

1 misnomer, now neutralized. TVM TUffloud

Last edited:
OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bump

In 2020, we still don't know if caribsea wet sand is activated or not.

Friendships: strained.

posits: galore.

proofs: not any

sales: has cornered the wet sand market

should they be pre rinsing the silt out before bagging: heck yea. it'll crush the sand rinse thread when you sell cloudless sand.

does sandbed bacteria even matter bro: tbd. but we should not be guessing over such matters

someone, open a bag of wet caribsea and add more sw water to the bag. shoot some ammonia in it and take a test

resample the water in 24 hours, if moved down, proofed. zero not required, you aren't using seneye we'll take just the downtrend.

Last edited:
OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Done: sandbed proofing

Good job WV aquatics

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nobody in reefing can accurately tell us:

how much the use of tap water kills off filter bac. All we have is subjective data

and api readings

nobody in reefing has demonstrated one way or another whether or not fish-in cycling harms fish. They act normal, everybody says theyre harmed.
Api says they're harmed. And on other threads, api says a matured reef is .25 we dont have good data to tell us what bacteria can do

any seneye owners want to verify your current readings and slay any of these non answers we have in reefing

it will be 2025 and we won’t have basic answers on ammonia dynamics, how much constant nh3 happy clownfish tolerate, whether reefs have the same conversion rates for nh3 or if it varies after 30 days....we’ve got ground to make up.

currently accepting google scholar links for microbiology proofs, making seneye test threads would be best

it will be shocking to see if seneye users can find free ammonia in the tenths ppm, ever. Pre or post cycling.

Last edited:
OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have already attached this not sure:

Untested reef claim #54
and this one was big on reefcentral back in the day

Cat boxes near an aquarium transmit free ammonia into the tank problematically. My tester confirms it.

I wont state my opinion on that yet because it would be redundant.
but its a mega-untested claim in reefing that has no less than five hundred pages of opining and complete api confirmation.

Do cat boxes transmit free ammonia you can detect, that your reef biota cannot overcome, by being positioned even in a pantry with a reef tank or some type of enclosed spacing?

How we think that works reflects on how we see bacteria in terms of dynamics. what seneye says about it, I'd be curious to know.

seneye owners pls take your cat box and the reef into a small room

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

the Unassisted marine cycle has been defined at known complete by at least 60 days.

We can amend that portion from the list, well done MSteven1

*unassisted marine cycle= add dry substrate rock and sand to saltwater, let sit for sixty days, cycled. keep aerated warmed and mixed as normal. no feed added, no bottle bac, lives on contaminations and hitchhiker building blocks. Its done sooner than sixty days, and we're closing in on finding out how soon and whether or not it matches cycling charts meant for freshwater applications (were they?)

Last edited:

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back