Artificial Intelligence for Aquarium Parameters

aquaticlog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This November AquaticLog.com will be turning 5 years old. The industry has seen a lot of positive changes in the way aquarists look after their reefs and there is now more knowledge and tools at their disposal.

One important aspect of reef keeping is to have a handle on water parameters. While some can be meticulous about every single parameter they can test for, others practice a much more lax approach and many are in between. No matter what your routine is like, you are guaranteed to keep keep an eye on your temperature, salinity and alkalinity if you want to be successful at keeping corals.

image.jpeg

The combination of parameter ranges for a reef tank is as unique as your fingertips and may fluctuate daily. You can keep a low nutrient system such as Zeovit or can be completely off the charts for Nitrates and Phosphates and yet have a reef as amazing as Richard Ross' aquarium. Whether you are new to the hobby or are an old salt, you will target some parameter ranges.

We all know general guidelines and acceptable ranges, they are published in every book or forum article. You can try and mimic someone else's parameters. But what if there was a way to get suggestions on a specific set of parameter values that are unique to your aquarium?

Have you ever heard of Machine Learning? This Artificial Intelligence technology is what Amazon and Netflix would use to recommend you books and movies that are tailored to your taste. AquaticLog is the reef industry first to use Machine Learning to learn from 840,000+ measurements logged on the site and recommend a precise set of parameters that should take your reef to the state of equilibrium bliss.

The algorithm takes your current parameters (you can specify which parameters to use) and will recommend the adjustments or will confirm that they are in a good state. If you prefer to keep a high alkalinity system it will suggest different parameters then for a natural sea water aquarium. If you prefer to have low nitrates it will suggest a value for phosphates that is appropriate. If your system runs cooler than most it will find matching parameters as well.

image.jpeg

This advanced algorithm would not be possible without heavy math, big data and thousands of successful aquariums logged using AquaticLog. We have been running this algorithm in beta for a few weeks and results have been eerily good.

We are excited to hear what your experience will be with this revolutionary new feature.

Keep on reefing.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is great! Thank you for sharing!

emmbec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds cool, but where did the training data came from? From other users? How do you guys determine that the suggested parameter value is actually ideal for my reef tank type? Do you have a blog post or something like that where I can learn more info on this please?

Thanks!

OP
OP
aquaticlog

aquaticlog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are more than 14,000 aquariums on the site, we have picked the top 1,000 for the training data (ordered by the number of likes, years in the hobby, activity, etc) and have applied the recommender algorithm that finds patterns and applies them to other aquariums.

I can go deeper into this, what aspect would you like to learn more about?

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the recommendation input just the current values? Because I think it's more useful to have the recent trend of the parameters than the current values. Like ALK went from 7 to 10 in a week is very different from stable at 10 for weeks.

Sharvey103

ReefAddicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting. I will have to try it using the series of measurements made over the first 8 months of my 300 DD

OP
OP
aquaticlog

aquaticlog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the recommendation input just the current values? Because I think it's more useful to have the recent trend of the parameters than the current values. Like ALK went from 7 to 10 in a week is very different from stable at 10 for weeks.

That's a very good question and the program takes that into consideration by looking at your custom lower/upper bounds. If your alk parameter is outside of bounds it will consider it abnormal and will not use it for the algorithm. But if your upper range is 8 and your alk have jumped from 7 to 8, it will suggest slightly different parameters, as you tune your parameters in the suggested values will be closer and closer to this artificial "optimal". Try it in action, it works quite well.

emmbec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are more than 14,000 aquariums on the site, we have picked the top 1,000 for the training data (ordered by the number of likes, years in the hobby, activity, etc) and have applied the recommender algorithm that finds patterns and applies them to other aquariums.

I can go deeper into this, what aspect would you like to learn more about?
Are users aware that you are using their private data for the algorithm? I registered for a free account and I didn't see anything about how my data will be used or an option to opt-out of my data from being collected. I know for some European countries this is a big issue so you may want to double check that.

OP
OP
aquaticlog

aquaticlog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are users aware that you are using their private data for the algorithm? I registered for a free account and I didn't see anything about how my data will be used or an option to opt-out of my data from being collected. I know for some European countries this is a big issue so you may want to double check that.

This is not different then Netflix suggesting you which movie to watch based on the data it has. Or Amazon recommending you books. Or Google for that matter.
As I had mentioned earlier, only 10% of the data is being used and it is from users that are posting photos and sharing their data already.

emmbec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not different then Netflix suggesting you which movie to watch based on the data it has. Or Amazon recommending you books. Or Google for that matter.
As I had mentioned earlier, only 10% of the data is being used and it is from users that are posting photos and sharing their data already.
Right, but they do have a privacy policy and data collection information on their site: https://help.netflix.com/legal/privacy

Could you point me to the one AquaticLog has please?

OP
OP
aquaticlog

aquaticlog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bunch of new features have been added: you can now mark aquariums as private, improved interface.

From the web page you can now see all of your aquariums and their stats on the same page, very handy especially if you have multiple aquariums or are a reef shop.

Screen Shot 2019-04-11 at 4.56.04 PM.png
Simulator Screen Shot - iPhone X - 2019-04-11 at 16.02.04.png

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So,

Seeing that it has been 7 years, how is this going now?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 53 48.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 55.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.3%
Back