Votes: 51 41.1%

• Total voters

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hits me as it’s how I evaluate if I will do a deal with someone on here. New users or low activity? NOPE. Now the real trick is how to help these newer/low users that just don’t use forums much and genuinely want to unload some gear.
They just won't be verified right away, which I think is ok.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I'm liking this the more I think about it!
The only concern I have with the check marks would be (this is for you Rev) - Accountability.
Scammers are getting smarter and should a sale go bad, the buyer may very well pose blame on R2R and even seek litigation for recovery of losses.
I would perhaps steer the trust certification at the time an ad is placed and have unknown or non-trusted person be approved through some sort of screening before an ad can be placed.
It will make it fair to those who dont sell wonder why they dont have a check mark or feel singled out

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what if we have a way for you to "click to be verified" and then the process allows to upload a few screen shots or links where you have had good feedback here on R2R. Then we check that against any negative feedback and decide if you get awarded the checkmark?

We would also need to come up with a list/criteria for what constitutes being approved or disapproved and how you could also lose the verification.
Only downside is you’re depending on a few brave souls to do deals with everyone until there’s feedback for them.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only concern I have with the check marks would be (this is for you Rev) - Accountability.
Scammers are getting smarter and should a sale go bad, the buyer may very well pose blame on R2R and even seek litigation for recovery of losses.
I would perhaps steer the trust certification at the time an ad is placed and have unknown or non-trusted person be approved through some sort of screening before an ad can be placed.
It will make it fair to those who dont sell wonder why they dont have a check mark or feel singled out
I think some clear language/small print could absolve R2R from any potential liabilities.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@revhtree 10 references from buyers on satisfaction and honesty throughout the community .
bad transactions reviewed ,and disqualified if warranted ?

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@revhtree 10 references from buyers on satisfaction and honesty throughout the community .

Yes it would have to be something like that. We would have to base it on for sell and trade threads that have been created here and if need be you would have to upload proof of a financial transaction.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
BTW I have had a new feedback system installed on our test site for many months now. I'm working to get it live here asap!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
That’s why we have feedback scores. Aren’t those references if buyer satisfaction?

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That’s why we have feedback scores. Aren’t those references if buyer satisfaction?

Yes and again this would be an added layer to that or any feedback system or forum we offer.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i see yours ,kudo's, but see very very few others w nothing 0/0/0.
or nothing at all .

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Pretty much yes.

1. If someone is willing to submit to being verified then they, IMO, are less likely to try and scam someone knowing that we know who they are.

2. We ban accounts daily that pretend to be real hobbyists who are straight up scammers. DAILY!
How bad is this for scammers? I would have thought this is a good hobbyist site. I've sold my first items very successfully here, should I be more protective on the sales side (ex not giving out personal phone number or using home address)?

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How bad is this for scammers? I would have thought this is a good hobbyist site. I've sold my first items very successfully here, should I be more protective on the sales side (ex not giving out personal phone number or using home address)?

The "scamming" we speak of is accounts that don't ship items that get paid for. Not someone stealing your identity. I want to make it a little harder for people to scam someone and a little better for our members to not get scammed.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think the blue checkmark is very distracting, personally.

Especially in the list of threads.

YES those will be removed. Already working on it. It would only show inside a thread and on the threads within the marketplace forums.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I just noticed this and I jumped on it lol. All I can say is verification on a platform like this is completely pointless. I’m verified on social media as an adoption advocate and freelance journalist. The entire point of verification which has become a coveted badge and still is…is to verify the authenticity of public figures/brands who are highly likely to be impersonated who have a certain amount of news coverage and credibility in their industry. Many brands and people without news coverage and/or who don’t have Wikipedia pages are not eligible no matter how many followers they have. There’s different avenues people have taken over the years to attain this whether submitting it or having private access to the verification form/and Twitter representatives for record labels and modeling agencies or requesting it on the platform portal by submitting a goverment issued ID. Personally I love being verified on social media as and only .1% of users have attained this and content ranks the highest on Facebook and Instagram for with certain features are only available to verified users. Verification over the years has changed significantly especially on Twitter although I don’t mind paying $8 a month as it has other features as well…but verification on Twitter is not what it used to be and was never supposed to cost money on ANY PLATFORM as people abuse the system. Again verification was originally meant prevent impersonation and label certain accounts as authentic but it has become much more over the years and scammers claiming to represent the social media sites have taken abuse of the system. And in my opinion this will do nothing to this platform…badges and reviews are much better. The only way for verification and badges to be used on a platform like this and actually be authentic is to have people submit government issued ID and use their real name for handles/when applying like social media sites.

Last edited:

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
**THIS WILL NOT BE MANDATORY IF WE DECIDE TO DO IT, IT WILL BE OPTIONAL AND BE AN UPGRADE**

With all the scamming that goes on online what do you think about us providing a member upgrade where you could get verified so that people would be a little more comfortable when buying and selling with you and others?

You can see the Blue Verified check next to my user name now. There would also be a list of verified members you could view here: https://www.reef2reef.com/verified/

This would be optional for you the member. You absolutely do not have to get verified to trade or sell. There would also be a very small yearly fee to get verified. Since we would have a third party verification company verifying you, there are fees associated with that.

As a buyer would you feel better buying and trading with a "verified member?"

Let me know your thoughts.
Yes and we should also be able to use alternatives to PayPal like Gab Pay. We shouldn't be forced into one payment method with a company if we don't like or support their business practices.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
supply a driver's license or similar ID and kept in a file offline by a mod. only if verification is needed for selling or buying would the file be accessed by mods, and issue a verification note (this is a verified user) to the person requesting it, but no information to be passed on.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 21 36.2%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 10 17.2%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back