As the tank ages...

hawk82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Im about 1 year and 6 months in on my tank. Ive gone through alot, my last battle was a round with dinos. I had to get my nirates up to 10, they had bottomed out, and dinos took over. Now Im getting patches of green hair algae, how much is normal? Its not taking over, just a few patches here and there, but its realllly long, my snails are not eating it. Is some gha normal? Or do I need to look into dosing something like Vibrant?

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would manual remove the long algae and up your cuc. Some is definitely normal if I didn’t have a heavy cuc I would have tons of gha with the nutrient levels I run. I would try to stay away from vibrant especially since you don’t have a ton of it.

Spsfreak27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue what I did to beat the hair algae is to add a ton of chaeto. I'm talking about a little smaller than a basketball in size. It out competed the hair algae fast.

OP
OP
hawk82

hawk82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just never know how much cuc I should have. I dont want them to starve, but then again I have a melanurus wrasse and a flame hawk that likes to make snacks out of them also. About how many snails/crabs for a 40 breeder? I have 8 astrea snails, 3 small mexican turbo, 6 nerites (but they keep climbing out and I find em on the floor. I had like 30 of the tiny cerith snails, but the wrasse makes quick work out of those. I have about 6 hermits.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just never know how much cuc I should have. I dont want them to starve, but then again I have a melanurus wrasse and a flame hawk that likes to make snacks out of them also. About how many snails/crabs for a 40 breeder? I have 8 astrea snails, 3 small mexican turbo, 6 nerites (but they keep climbing out and I find em on the floor. I had like 30 of the tiny cerith snails, but the wrasse makes quick work out of those. I have about 6 hermits.
I have around 10-20 hermits , 3 brittle stars, sand shifting star, 2 conch , 5 emerald crabs, 2 big turbo snails, and bout 20-30 misc other snails lol, two pencil urchins , and about 50 asterina starfish that love coraline algae 40b I actually think I could use some more snails

Attachments

• 0701E1E0-2A5D-4CF9-AE27-2DC6B8756436.jpeg
    0701E1E0-2A5D-4CF9-AE27-2DC6B8756436.jpeg
    132.2 KB · Views: 43

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like I should add a few more lol
Lol yes especially if yr CUC gets depleted by wrasse , I don’t want to count the number of bristle worms I have I bought a trap to catch them , I also run a huge refugium in the sump that is loaded with pods / micro brittle star

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 10 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back