ASD rainbow vs JF Solar Flare

dragonfisher33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alright for you sps/milli freaks,

what's the difference between the two? i can't see the difference.

while we are at it, let me throw RMF acid trip into the mix.

look forward to your comments and pictures.

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No photos but I do have both the ASD and JF millis. Both in different spots. the ASD is a 4" x 4" mini colony while the JF is about 1" with 4 branches forming. I started with the JF piece from Reef Currents last year as a fingernail sized frag. But from what I see currently, they both look identical.

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both as frags and they look identical. However, Jason fox flare is more red in the base. I also thought that they were the same coral, but I was wrong. @RussiReef has both as fairly large colonies and you can definitely tell the difference. Maybe he’d be able to post a few side by side photos.

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have the JF Solar Flare because I've heard it's too similar to the ASD Rainbow and my tank's too small for corals that look too similar! :rolleyes:

But...I can tell you that ASD Rainbow and RMF Acid Trip are different. The RMF has more green. I love them both, two of my favorite acros. Here's my two colonies for a comparison:

ASD Rainbow

183.JPG

RMF Acid Trip

188.JPG

RussiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both colonies. In my tank they position pretty close to each other, under same PAR approx 350. Clearly I can see that Solar Flare is darker in coloration than Rainbow Mille.
JF Solar Flare, ASD Rainbow Mille
jf solar flare4.jpg
 asd rainbow (2 of 1).jpg

MelReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought a solar flare. Following this thread with a heavy heart knowing I might have paid an extra 20 bucks for the same coral :(

joseserrano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was at law office aquariums last week and they have the three mentioned In the same tank near each other. The jf is a little thicker and brighter, Aqua Sd is second, and rmf last I’m regards to thickness and structure. The rmf is less table and more off shaped branch structures. Their colonies are about a foot across.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
alright for you sps/milli freaks,

what's the difference between the two? i can't see the difference.

while we are at it, let me throw RMF acid trip into the mix.

look forward to your comments and pictures.
Acid trip and solar flair are perfectly down to the t identical for me. I'll have to get some photos when I get the chance

Bacon505

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Its mariculture so its not on the market. Blue tip, red polyps and yellow coralite so far on the growth

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its mariculture so its not on the market. Blue tip, red polyps and yellow coralite so far on the growth

Technically if it’s mariculture there are a load of them out there. This is one reason I like maricultured stuff. There are some very nice pieces that come in and lots of people are scared out of trying Mari stuff because of people who read something bad about them or were not experienced when they did try them.

Bacon505

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
People dont like mariculture and wild because of the risks. But for myself i prefer them because they have a good chance of color morph once adjust in the home aquarium

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I normally get at least one more color to come out once acclimated, that wasn’t visible when in the ocean. I am really excited to see more of the mille that come out of Bali this year.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As to the difference in these three corals, I think each have similar colors but each has a different hue and placement of orange and green. And under quality high light is when your going to see the difference the most I would guess.

JMR5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No photos but I do have both the ASD and JF millis. Both in different spots. the ASD is a 4" x 4" mini colony while the JF is about 1" with 4 branches forming. I started with the JF piece from Reef Currents last year as a fingernail sized frag. But from what I see currently, they both look identical.
So from what I've read, high light....high flow too?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back