OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So finally done with the scape. I cemented it before I got any ideas.

FTS

output_image1639369128909.jpg

Left Side Shot
output_image1639369393876.jpg

Top Left Shot

noname.jpg

Top Right Shot
output_image1639369428683.jpg

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning on adding a built-in system of removing detritus from the tank or just to remove 100 Gallons for water changes ( a 20 gallon container in the stand, with a bulk head drain - that connects to the sump or via T value to the sewer drain. This container will also be the outlet for my overflow box emergency drain. There are few ways I can filter water, first is siphon with a hose to the 20 gallon container - which will send water to the sump and clean with a filter sock. Otherwise I can add a PVC fitting in the intake of my closed loop, close of 4 outlet valves and open the one spare valve that will send water to the same container. Basically I never plan on having a 50 gallon brute containers rolling around the first floor and i feel detritus removal is more important that water change it self so want to do it weekly.

I am not sure if anyone can follow what I am saying

Last edited:

CoralDanimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be using my own frag plugs out of rubble rock on fiberglass rods. So I drilled over 200 (1/4") holes in the aquascape. I'll glue some zoas and favias around the scape but all SPS will be removable.
I learned this technique from watching @Coral Euphoria's YouTube channel and I started doing it with my aquascape. You won't regret it! So convenient because you can re-arrange the tank whenever you want or frag a colony without having to break it off the rock work. I did have a hard time drilling the holes though. What did you use for your drill bit?

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I learned this technique from watching @Coral Euphoria's YouTube channel and I started doing it with my aquascape. You won't regret it! So convenient because you can re-arrange the tank whenever you want or frag a colony without having to break it off the rock work. I did have a hard time drilling the holes though. What did you use for your drill bit?

Thats awesome I've known Abe awhile and glad he showed us an easier way. I used few concrete bits that I had but it was a lot easier when I got a Milwaukee (concrete/metal/wood) Bit. Some of the rock was so dense I just left it but I probably did close to 200 holes. Maybe its not the easiest initially but there are so many benefits to this method I was willing to waste time to get it done. Here are some of the benefits i could come up with.

1. Easier to remove colonies without damaging base, and be able to put them back quickly.
2. keeping my hands out the tank (I can keep damsels now)
3. Keeping epoxy and glue out of the tank.
4. less chance of breaking corals in the wrong spot (when fragging in the tank with bone cutters)
5. Light acclimation can be easy and gradual using lower PAR holes. instead of using a frag rack.
6. When corals get too big its easier to cut back when one can remove and put them back.
7. Easier to move corals that may not like the first spot or for when we get a new nicer coral to take its spot.
8. Glue corals with two hands on a table.
9. Inspect, dip, or be able to remove all species incase of a coral eating pest.
10. Chance of pest spreading are less when they are mounted this way.
11. Good surface area for coral growth.

Last edited:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice!! Glad to see this developing.

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First time receiving fish online that where in bad shape. The 2 purple tangs both had HLLE. I have been giving them fresh hair algae and too my surprise within 1 week half the lines have faded.

56150.jpeg

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great progress made in the tank! I have just one question for you, I think the ability to remove frag plugs is awesome and I think Abe has an amazing set up. But what do you do as the sps begin to encrust outwards as laying down a base to strengthen themselves for the ability to grow upwards? Or do you never let them grow outwards that much, but if so, doesn’t that impede their ability to grow into larger colonies?

corey

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great progress made in the tank! I have just one question for you, I think the ability to remove frag plugs is awesome and I think Abe has an amazing set up. But what do you do as the sps begin to encrust outwards as laying down a base to strengthen themselves for the ability to grow upwards? Or do you never let them grow outwards that much, but if so, doesn’t that impede their ability to grow into larger colonies?

corey

Thanks, I feel as long as the corals have enough surface area on the frag plugs I feel they may grow better. Abe has very large flag plugs and 2-3" in diameter so SPS are covering that area and then growing outwards. If I was to glue a small frag plug then i could see a 8" colonie snapping at its base so I am going to spend more time making sure my frag plugs look natural and have enough surface area so they do get large.

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The closed loop and return pump have done exactly what I was hoping; producing very strong turbulent flow throughout the tank. Since the 300LB+ of rock is barely touching the bottom I don't believe any detritus will settle anywhere in the tank. Ecotech nutrient transport should shake anything in the water column and there it will get obliterated by the mp60s and find its way to the overflow.

Few issues:
1. vibration is absolutely horrid coming up the return pipe. The return pump is silent but the vibration is carrying over to upstairs. I didn't leave any room under the pump for vibration and only have one clamp to the 12 foot return line.

2. Bean animal is not really working like I hoped, I have it quiet from upstairs but downstairs the flow is not consistent between primary and secondary drain. I feel the secondary drain is pushing more water then the full siphon line but anytime I open it up slightly then the secondary doesn't get used. I feel I may have to reduce the fitting inside the overflow to 1" as i am probably moving 1000GPH

Any suggestions on this would be appreciated.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. that makes sense to me. I guess letting them grow 2-3 inches at base can allow for a good sized coral. I will be following this because I am interested to see how it works when they get melon sized or larger.

corey

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. that makes sense to me. I guess letting them grow 2-3 inches at base can allow for a good sized coral. I will be following this because I am interested to see how it works when they get melon sized or larger.

corey
Honestly I am trying to avoid them from getting melon size since our tanks are too tiny with too many corals to begin with. Removing them should make it easier to frag them without it being obvious and I am sure less stressful on the corals. I think too much surface area where there is light and food results in corals just encrusting too much and only branching out when there is no more option, something I want to avoid.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back