Ash's 400 Gallon Reef

Sassafras

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone is in a similar situation where they can't find anyone to take the job please msg me - its not as difficult as it looks, I did it without hydraulic carts! Just good old foam, 8 suction cups, and converted a pallet into a large cart. 2 regular size men could lift a 850LB tank from one side without much issue while foam was being put in each side. (special shout out to Than from Tidal gardens for putting that moving a large tank video the week of my move, never would have thought this was possible until I saw his video)
Would you mind posting a link to that video? I've never seen that foam technique.....great thinking!

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked about this on my local forum since they all have tanks in approximately the same environment (ambient temp and humidity). One person responded that he has a 1275 gallon system that he heats with two 500w heaters. He has an extra 300w heater in case one breaks. I would recommend using more smaller heaters instead of one large one. On the 700 gallon system I’m planning, I have two 200w heaters (left over from my previous system) and bought two 500w heaters. Once it’s running I’ll have to see if they are all necessary or if I can take one or more of them offline.
This was good feedback. I have 3 new eheim 300w heaters and added 2 to the overflow box. In 2 days it took my temp from 67degrees to 76degrees. I figure I maybe ok with 2 heaters once I insulate the sump but may put 2 on a controller and one stand alone. If 600 watts is all it takes to hold temp steady that's pretty good for 550gallon of water running through a cold basement. They would be on 24-7 though so not sure if they will burn out. Eheim heaters I've used since 97 and never had an issue with them. Over the years I tried 4 different and mostly all failed. Eheim for life

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's this fuzzy stuff growing on my seeded liverock? There was sponge die off from my rock so kind of concerned.

20220125_145245.jpg

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not familiar with the at one. Maybe post in the hitchhiker ID or nuisance algae forum. Do you have access to a microscope?

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have a suggestion on how to mount radion to a piece of plywood? I need it to be directly under plywood so dont need anything fancy. I do recall years ago before anyone made brackets ppl may have used those metal brackets used for those removable shelfs.

flagg37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Electrician finally came to finish basement electric.
Total of 36 outlets installed for Aquarium.
Now to figure out wiremanagement.

20220202_122228.jpg
How many breakers did you go with and what amperage?

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's this fuzzy stuff growing on my seeded liverock? There was sponge die off from my rock so kind of concerned.

20220125_145245.jpg
Could be bacterial mats but could also be Dino’s or diatoms. Microscope would help! Even one of the $15 pocket scopes from Amazon or eBay.

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One month in and no fiteration I decided to check my phosphates. Which where a whooping .34ppm or 128ppb. Added the skimmer, uv, carbon and will get phosphates down before adding lights. I got all parts to make a algae scrubber just gotta get too it.

Once this is done I'll catch my 3 yellows and add them along with 2 purples into display

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mounted UV to the side. I don't agree with ppl saying you need a massive uv filter to be effective. Oversize to me means more money and possibly removing good organics too quickly
20220211_131509.jpg

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Electrician finally came to finish basement electric.

How many breakers did you go with and what amperage?
2 new 20amp circuits and used 2 existing house circuits for redundancy for downstairs tanks. Both systems are run of 2 different circuits. I don't have any room in circuit board but wanted to add a 3rd dedicated

flagg37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Canopy almost done. Didn't figure out doors yet but at least I won't have to break my back changing bulbs

20220221_221207.jpg
That’s some great progress on the canopy. A couple things to keep in mind. Just double check the weight and balance so that when you fully extend the lights that it doesn’t tip over. You may have to attach it to the wall in the back. Also, I’d have the expectation that those slides will rust and need to be replaced wry few years. Cord management can be a creative task too so they don’t stoop down into the tank when you close it.

Back