Ask Tony...the NARC photography thread.

Parkerman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might just be from being scaled down for a forum posting or my lousy vision, but I have a hard time spotting the crab's eyes unless I zoom in. Have you tried a tighter crop and getting rid of most of the out-of-focus foreground rock? If you have a large enough image, it might be cool to just have the crab in a sea of yellow. It'd make a good forum avatar.

The foreground adds a sense of depth to the picture imo, so I wouldn't really want to remove it. In a smaller picture it is hard to see the eyes of the crab, but I didn't want to post a huge picture on here.

Also, not sure if its your monitor or not, but its a sea of green.. =P

markkazdad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The foreground adds a sense of depth to the picture imo, so I wouldn't really want to remove it. In a smaller picture it is hard to see the eyes of the crab, but I didn't want to post a huge picture on here.

Also, not sure if its your monitor or not, but its a sea of green.. =P

Hmmm....I did think is it yellow-green or green-yellow. I can see a green cast to the yellow, but to me it definitely doesn't look bubble algae green or dandelion yellow. It could be my monitor or my glasses. My monitor is a 2011 MacBook Pro hi-res, anti-glare, and I'm using the Color LCD profile provided by Apple, with gamma = 2.2 "(Standard)". My eyeglasses are high refractive index plastic and if I look off-center, I can see color bands around edges. Anyway, you could adjust the colors to meet my expectations :bigsmile:. You could change it to yellow, crop it, then save it for when you can find a dandelion with a bee in it, then juxtapose the two. Or make three copies of one and play "one of these things is not like the other".

Parkerman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah, It's not like OD green or anything. They are green star polyps, so a bright green.

My monitor is calibrated to the print's I receive.

Parkerman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i-5tCNNzZ-XL.jpg

Another shot that I thought looked pretty cool.

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love some help with these..
IMAG0652.jpg

IMAG0655.jpg

IMAG0731.jpg

I really want to bring out the reds on that last one. I shoot with a smartphone with the white balance set to cloudy. But I do have a more sophisticated camera just dont know how to use it yet...lol

Parkerman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love some help with these..

I really want to bring out the reds on that last one. I shoot with a smartphone with the white balance set to cloudy. But I do have a more sophisticated camera just dont know how to use it yet...lol

Other than the way you framed the pictures up, for a cell phone those are pretty good in my opinion. Would have to use some post processing to hopefully pull some red out in that last picture.

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than the way you framed the pictures up, for a cell phone those are pretty good in my opinion. Would have to use some post processing to hopefully pull some red out in that last picture.
Thanks ...I guess until I start using the real camera there isn't much I can do...although I did hear there are some apps that are good for taking better photos...anyone know which ones work good? I purchased a macro lens for my phone a few weeks back, but it still hasn't come in the mail...maybe I should call about that.

Dave3112

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I actually used the tripod for these shots and must say they came out much better. Here is my favorite from this session

a6937890-fc54-7105.jpg

This one I need some help with. The centers of the pink zoas are a bright green but anytime I shoot them through the glass they end up looking a cream colored or slightly yellow. Is there a way to get them to be green? I have tried adjusting the WB in camera and in PS and can't get the colors I want.
a6937890-fcf6-ea9d.jpg

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a6937890-fcf6-ea9d.jpg

This any better? Kinda hard to get the green to intensify without losing some of the purple.

Last edited:

Parkerman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I actually used the tripod for these shots and must say they came out much better. Here is my favorite from this session

This one I need some help with. The centers of the pink zoas are a bright green but anytime I shoot them through the glass they end up looking a cream colored or slightly yellow. Is there a way to get them to be green? I have tried adjusting the WB in camera and in PS and can't get the colors I want.

Getting the right colors with aquarium photography is what I have found to be the hardest. If you wanted you could email me the raw file and I could come up with. Parker08 at gmail dot com.

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my PC, the mouths of the pink zoas do not look green at all either way. The pink color intensified in Harry's picture to almost purplish.

Dave3112

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting the right colors with aquarium photography is what I have found to be the hardest. If you wanted you could email me the raw file and I could come up with. Parker08 at gmail dot com.

I'll do that when I get home on Monday! Thank you for the offer.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 15.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 60 46.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 44 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back