Ask Tony...the NARC photography thread.

Dave3112

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I don't have an aquarium set up any more and have been bored to death in Richmond, Kentucky I have been getting some non-aquarium related shots processed. So please, any critiques are appreciated. I am trying to get better at photography in general. Some of you have seen them from the start and I think they are improving but there is nothing like "another set of eyes" to tell you what you are doing wrong (or right). Also I lose a lot of detail when posting from photobucket.

IMG_2181_2246_zps3846dc52.jpg

Dave3112

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and I did finally get the colors right in the pink zoas. I just had to take a top down shot.....

IMG_2227.jpg

Parkerman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Dave, Just wondering... why did you choose to go black and white on the stream shot?

I haven't taken many pictures lately, Kinda dropped out of photography for a bit... but I'm starting to feel it coming on again. Having the time to do it is what is the killer.

Dave3112

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I don't know to tell you the truth. I was in LR and was messing around and I kinda liked it better than the color shot. I know what you mean about time. I haven't had much lately myself. I went out the other day and took a few but I left my card reader at home so I can't process the new ones yet.

Parkerman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh ok. I mean black and white doesn't look bad, it looks fine. You just generally see shots like that in color.

I've started to go back and revisit pictures that I never got around to. I played with this one a little, and I know the hand is distracting and it's really not that good of a picture per say... but I think I really just like the color palette of it.

DSC_4885-L.jpg

Tone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question as iam new to dslr and this may be off topic but I bought my camera used and don't know the settings the prior owner used and everytime I try to snap a picture in a not so well lite area it won't fire...??...and when does only allows for two or three quick shots..?...should I do a reset...?

NikonD70

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using Tapatalk 2

Dave3112

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a Nikon user so I don't know the settings on those by heart. Do you know the settings that is in now?

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Parkerman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question as iam new to dslr and this may be off topic but I bought my camera used and don't know the settings the prior owner used and everytime I try to snap a picture in a not so well lite area it won't fire...??...and when does only allows for two or three quick shots..?...should I do a reset...?

NikonD70

Does it try to focus or anything? Generally in a dim area it will be searching for focus and it won't take a picture.. Unless it is set to continuous focus.

But yea, I would suggest restoring to factory defaults and checking up on the user manual.

Tone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it try to focus or anything? Generally in a dim area it will be searching for focus and it won't take a picture.. Unless it is set to continuous focus.

But yea, I would suggest restoring to factory defaults and checking up on the user manual.

Ok cool I will do a reset..and yeah it would focus but the box wouldent turn red to fire...and had to point it at a light basically ...

Any recomendations on settings for tank shots..?
This is the lens I have don't know if it helps...thanks

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1361583356211.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361583356211.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 178

Parkerman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that the only lens you have?

I'll be honest, I haven't mastered tank shots like some people have. The biggest suggestion I have is to angle your camera lens as little as possible. The glass will bend the image and distort it. So keep the front of your lens as parallel as you can to the glass.

Do you have a good understanding of ISO, Aperture, and Shutter speed?

Tone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that the only lens you have?

I'll be honest, I haven't mastered tank shots like some people have. The biggest suggestion I have is to angle your camera lens as little as possible. The glass will bend the image and distort it. So keep the front of your lens as parallel as you can to the glass.

Do you have a good understanding of ISO, Aperture, and Shutter speed?

Yes this is the only lens that it came with it has a macro but nothing super fancy either....
And no not really i am starting to get the iso part (I think) but not the rest...

Parkerman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

markkazdad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any tips for photographing under blue LEDs? I think the obvious thing is for me to get out a tripod, but should I change the white balance or something to help capture what I see?

IMGP3620.jpg

Parkerman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have the ability to shoot in RAW, do that. That way you can toy with your WB to see if that helps.

Sometimes you can only do so much with your WB though.

If I can remember I will try to test it out with my camera and see what kinda of results I come up with and let you know.

markkazdad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can shoot in RAW, but I don't have Aperture, Lightroom or Photoshop to toy with it. Would you mind me sending you a RAW file or two to play with?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back