Asm g4 skimmer gate valve mod help

QuarantinedCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I recently did the asm gate valve mod and I think I might have done something wrong. I’ve attached pictures, the only way I was able to get it to work and actually adjust the skimmer properly, the skimmer is sitting in like 2 inches of water. Someone please explain how I’m supposed to be doing this and how it works. The skimmer works fine the way I had it before before I can’t stand the water splashing sound I wanted to quiet that down so I used the gate valve mod and have it dump under the water surface to make it quieter.

9BAEC58D-02D9-4F4C-BCAA-48A25D31C3C8.jpeg 3C395C55-98E8-4045-A80B-0FD278CF397C.jpeg F1C0C728-7B69-4240-9AD7-51CCA8ED2869.jpeg

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it looks like you have the valve and tee too high. the skimmer has to push water up to that tee for it to exit the skimmer, this is creating too much back pressure on the pump, the reason you had to place the skimmer in shallow water.

OP
OP
QuarantinedCorals

QuarantinedCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it looks like you have the valve and tee too high. the skimmer has to push water up to that tee for it to exit the skimmer, this is creating too much back pressure on the pump, the reason you had to place the skimmer in shallow water.
So am I supposed to cut the pipe down? I had tried it with just the tee and no pipe on top of it but still no luck, seems like when I put an elbow on the skimmers exit pipe it automatically starts to skim on the wetter side.

OP
OP
QuarantinedCorals

QuarantinedCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmn, been many years since I ran the ASM4. This is essentially how I configured the gate valve.

ASM Valve Module Kit G1-G3 - Aquarium Maintenance - Custom Tanks - LED Lights - Aquaculture Corals (marinesolutionsinc.com)
I wish the website described it a bit better, the problem seems to stem from me adding anything to the skimmers return pipe, as biglew said it adds head pressure. So would this mean I have to cut the pipe down in order for it to work? Don’t wanna have to resort to that but if that’s the only way I might have to.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back