OP
Rudzbrewski

Rudzbrewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rudz,
If I’m not mistaken, that’s a solid oak desk and should be more than capable of holding the weight of a ten gal.
Your restriction would be height for a light but there a a bunch of LED options for for a tank that size that should work without breaking the bank and transition more than adequately to a QT tank.

If you serious about your plan of moving up to a 75+ gal, then I would highly suggest looking into an Apex and an ATK and DOS now. The DOS will do automatic water changes from and too the holding tank of your choice. The ATK will do an auto top off from a fresh water reservoir. They will be able to then be put on your larger tank when you get it. Randy can definitely hook you up with the correct path.

Innovative marine makes a nice looking glass holding tank in either 5 gal or 15 gal. The 15 is like $100-150.00 not too bad. They can be hidden pretty easily or left out as they are not obtrusive and look “classy” if you keep your plumbing neat. I got two of the 5s right before they came out with the 15s. Now I use Brute 44 gal cans but they probably wouldn’t work in your decor.....lol

Automation is a lot of fun!

Hope this helps, now it’s time to run to ARC and spend too much money (can’t help myself, they have great stuff!)

Kevin
Yes, it is a pretty solid desk, so the ~100 lbs of a 10 gallon tank isn't as much of a concern for me as potentially the moisture and splashing of the water. It is a HOB filter on this little guy, so there is always a little spray. I already have acquired a majority of the pieces I need. I do have an ATO (Tunze Osmolater that will eventually be transitioned to the bigger DT down the line). Part of the reason the desk spot is so appealing is because the foot area is deep enough with a back opening that I could store my 5 gallon jug of RODI for the ATO out of site and run the line up and behind. It is a tempting location, but I am nervous about ruining my nice desk. Might set it up, and worst case will have to empty and move during the cycle process, which wouldn't me to worst thing in the world with only a 10 gallon.

I am really excited to check out these other LFS as time permits. I will say that I tend to try and gravitate towards one location for things to develop that relationship and familiarity. Pros and cons to this for sure.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. CNY here... and there's absolutely nothing in the Utica area.
While I will agree with you, there is that one place over in New York Mills.... Wild things I think it's called?

Doesn't carry much, but has some salty stuff. I honestly haven't been in there in a couple years because he basically had nothing I ever wanted or needed, and didn't know his you know what, from a hole in the ground when it came to the salty side of things.

Johnd651

Getting back in after 10+ years
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I will agree with you, there is that one place over in New York Mills.... Wild things I think it's called?

Doesn't carry much, but has some salty stuff. I honestly haven't been in there in a couple years because he basically had nothing I ever wanted or needed, and didn't know his you know what, from a hole in the ground when it came to the salty side of things.
I called about ordering a reef ready tank. From them 6 months ago. had no idea what I was talking about. Oneonta Petco has some salt to... but other then that it's a barren waste land for salt water.

Cully

Big Daddy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome from CNY. Went to grad school in Buffalo. Long suffering Bills fan, our time shall come!

You are in a great spot. Strong reefing communities in Buffalo and Rochester. I’m holding it down in Syracuse. We don’t seem to have the same level of interest here.

Good luck with your endeavors!

Howlnsound

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was one place in Syracuse I visited a few times. 1st trip, I didn't get the warm fuzzies. They had a Pink Tip Torch I really wanted, but the guy was clueless about it when I asked him if it was an Aussie or Indo. I should have just bought it then and QT’d it, but I digress, I decided to give them another shot next trip up (and see if it was still there... it wasn’t) I spoke with a different guy and it was significantly better. Still, not too much there to speak of And tanks weren’t as kept up with as much as I would have liked To have seen when walking into a saltwater reef / fish store.

‘but I agree, Joe at Saltwater Paradise is awesome! He was my first “go to” for years.
Then I got out for a while. Now I’m back in and he‘s still at the top of the list.

In Buffalo my top 3 for corals:
Randy at ARC - 1 (just go there and you’ll understand why)
Joe at SWP - 2 (healthy, nice selection, great prices)
Mike at BCR - 3 (different stuff, healthy, good prices)

Top 3 for Fish:
David at Mystic - 1(dates right on tank and QT - big in my book, nice selection and prices)
Randy at ARC - 2 (nice selection and prices, more exotic stuff, great wrasses)
Mike at BCR - 3 (different selections, good prices, larger sizes)

unless your talking clowns. Randy breeds his own designer clownfish, many different varieties. Hearty, healthy, and gorgeous!

Rudz.
I wouldn’t worry too much about the moisture if you wipe everything down on a regular basis during your normal maintenance. You‘re going to be cleaning the glass and such anyways, just wipe down the hutch as well. If you stay on top of it, it should be fine. On a desk like that, it should be sealed and varnished anyways, so your just making sure there is no accumulations. If need be put a small desk fan blowing across the top of the tank. It will help with heat trapped by the hutch an dry any standing mist which will make it easier to wipe.

Think of it this way,
it‘s a ten gal tank. Worst case, you take some water out and move it to a table until you figure something else out.
it isn’t like a 100+ gal where it’s an all day affair to break it down and set it back up, all the while worrying about if everyone is going to make it ok.

Don’t overthink it. Just do it and adapt as needed.

The best way in the pool is to jump in.

furyofthegnomes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Cheektowaga resident here, lucky enough to live five minutes from ARC which leads to me being in there entirely too often for my credit cards and probably enough to be an annoyance there haha! But they really are a bunch of great guys there. I won't bother repeating what everyone has said already because we really are lucky in Buffalo with a bunch of great LFS. But even if you don't have your tank up and running you should still check out the Queen City Frag Fest on April 19th. If your tank isn't set up by then seeing all the beautiful coral there will motivate you to get it set up, thats what happened with me.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Queen City frag fest was my first, and their first.

Was a good time, unfortunately the timing never works for me so I haven't been back since the first one.

Thought I had found all the LFS's in buffalo lol. Hey @Howlnsound whats BCR? I know all the others, and I would agree with your assessment. SWP has been my goto for a while now, only because they are usually open when I'm in town.

OP
OP
Rudzbrewski

Rudzbrewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like I need to make a tour of Buffalo’s shops! Unfortunately, I can’t go to Queen City Frag Fest, I checked my calendar when I saw the advertisement originally.

I started the build process yesterday with painting the back of my tank and getting somethings laid out and organized. Cleaning up the area for my mixing station took longer than anticipated, so between today and tomorrow I am hoping to get that all finished to start mixing up for saltwater!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back