Assistance required: Tabling acropora radial corralites turning white/dying

Lapras

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Well, I have a larger sized tabling acro, and it seems within the last weeks or so some of the radial corralites are turning white/dying. Almost as if something was plucking away an individual polyp/eating it. It's not like a "traditional" RTN I've seen in past acros, but something different. The axial corralites seems to be OK and growing.

Was wondering if this is normal with growth or indicative of something more sinister? Maybe not enough flow?

See picture.

Here are some recent measurements:
alk: 9.3
ca: 480
no3: ~1-2
sg: 1.026
po4: 0.08
pH: 8.15

Thank you for any insights!

20190303_132133.jpg

OP
OP
L

Lapras

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Most of them are, but there are a couple here and there that also on the other shaded side. I can't seem to find a pattern, per se, except that the white is generally on the radial corallites

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wild acropora? New tank? This is not a good recipe for success. The dead branch on the right hand side does not look good either.

Even people with very established tanks and lots of experience struggle with wild acro chunks.

OP
OP
L

Lapras

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the tank a little over two years. Params stable. The acro piece is wild from Diver's Den, had it since April 2018. So this incident started roughly in the past two weeks... incidentally, I did add some emerald crabs, so I will go in tonight with the flashlight to see if they are picking at anything.

OP
OP
L

Lapras

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wild acropora? New tank? This is not a good recipe for success. The dead branch on the right hand side does not look good either.

Even people with very established tanks and lots of experience struggle with wild acro chunks.

Right, that dead branch on the right is from a small frag that started to brown, and now unfortunately did not survive. I just haven't pulled it out yet - hoping there might still be something left in the rest of it.

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has it grown at all? Or colored up ever? Still seems to have the shape of a wild Microclados. As said above, wild acros can be a real challenge to keep.

OP
OP
L

Lapras

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has it grown at all? Or colored up ever? Still seems to have the shape of a wild Microclados. As said above, wild acros can be a real challenge to keep.

Hi, yes to both. It has colored significantly (used to be dull/whitish pink) now it's more red, and the corallites have this bright red glow in certain light. The growth is slower, it seems, but it's starting to encrust on the base parts which touch the rock.

MarinaP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it be damage from candycane sweepers? Is it close enough, hard to tell from the pic.

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, candy coral can be violent and send sweepers. I’d repososition that and up your flow as much as possible. Wild corals are accustomed to about ten bazillion gallons per hour!

OP
OP
L

Lapras

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all for the replies. THe candy cane is somewhat close, but didn't know that they had sweepers.... I thought their tentacles were short and stubby, but i saw a video of some with longer ones. I will check again tonight

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back