My SPS are dying. Burnt Tips. Please Help.

Reefn'Sven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have pretty much this exactly situation occurring. SPS frags do great for a week to 10 days and then start bleaching at the tips. The tips get some algae growth and sometimes the flesh just seems to melt away over night. Some frags do totally fine and do not seem to be impacted. Others have base recession. All parameters are stable and PAR matches what WWC keeps their frags under (since the frags are coming from WWC I know that’s not the problem)

Are you still experiencing this issue? If not, what steps did you take to get over it?

sculpin01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would raise concern for a bacterial-based issue, notably Arcobacter. I personally have done in-tank Cipro and have seen improvements in corals post-treatment. First step would be to send an Aquabiomics sample in to check.

Badboy GP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any update on this, I'm having the exact same.
2 plus years tank.. icp test nothing too high...

Gona try rowa phos

Also used caribsea dry rock.

ReefInSocal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Resurrecting an old thread because I feel like I have the answer!

I had the same issue and it turned out to be the water supply in Los Angeles. LADWP started added chloramines into the system and it really ****** a lot of people over in the hobby.

What saved me and my system was installing Chloramine Blaster cartridges in my RO system.

I FULLY believe this is you fix if anyone has these issues!

ID-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How did you determine this? Through icp test?

I have a 250 gal mixed reef that is SPS dominant. Having issues with burnt tips. I have large colonies that have grown well but occasionally I deal with burnt tips. No major alk or nutrient swings. Will occasionally lose a coral but typically like right now it’s burnt tips and driving
Me mad. Waiting on another icp test.

sjfishguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been keeping acros for 20 years, new to this forum. The most common reason for burnt tips and white montis in my experience is either your alk is too high, you are using too much gfo, or chloramines. Your alk might be higher than you think if your refractometer is off. I would recalibrate your refractometer with brand new calibration solution and see if that is off. Then retest everything. Then buy a second alk kit and confirm the first alk test. If it’s still all good, drop your alk to 6.5 or 7 for a month. Once things get better (if they do) then slowly increase it back to 8.

also, most municipalities use chloramines now so just swap out the standard carbon blocks for chloramine blocks just to be sure. What’s an extra $20 to save hundreds (or thousands) in coral. I hope this helps.

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been keeping acros for 20 years, new to this forum. The most common reason for burnt tips and white montis in my experience is either your alk is too high, you are using too much gfo, or chloramines. Your alk might be higher than you think if your refractometer is off. I would recalibrate your refractometer with brand new calibration solution and see if that is off. Then retest everything. Then buy a second alk kit and confirm the first alk test. If it’s still all good, drop your alk to 6.5 or 7 for a month. Once things get better (if they do) then slowly increase it back to 8.

also, most municipalities use chloramines now so just swap out the standard carbon blocks for chloramine blocks just to be sure. What’s an extra $20 to save hundreds (or thousands) in coral. I hope this helps.
Thanks for this

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to agree or disagree but based on Randy’s experience the extra $20 can be saved.

In my studies using real world reefers, regular carbon blocks usually worked fine.

So I'd test and use them if needed, and don't bother spending the extra if normal blocks work for you (as they did for me).

I guess the question comes down to, what makes the chloramine carbon blocks different compared to regular carbon block. Maybe it is just the extra $20 and new label.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 40 30.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back