Assistance with my first zoa garden

Klyph

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
So attached is an image of my first attempt at a zoo a garden. All of these frag‘s were roughly similar in size when I glued them to this rock. They’re all growing at completely different rates, with really different behavior. You can see that a couple are going through the umbrella syndrome, the orange one in the middle is exploding beautifully, and the dark blue one beside the orange one is generating a lot of heads but they’re super small and aren’t opening up fully.

does each zoa have a different light preference? What are best strategies for determine zoa compatibility when creating a zoa garden?

3A0EC276-56E1-4F49-AEC8-0A9279D567E2.jpeg

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED lighting

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Hi! My favorite strategy is isolating frags on a frag rack at the level I want the garden at (so if the rock sits 5 inches above the sand bed I would match that height with my rack). I leave it there for a couple weeks/months and record how much the zoas grew (like week 1- Bam Bams +2 polyps, week 2- Bam Bam +2 polyps) so I record how fast each one grows. During this time you also figure out if that’s a good light level for the zoas you want to make a garden out of and you can rearrange the frags on the rack to figure out which ones look good next to each other. Works really well for me and I know exactly what I’m getting into before I commit to them on a rock :)

Have you ever had a reef tank with no sump and how did it go?

• YES and it was just fine

Votes: 322 59.1%
  • YES but it was difficult

Votes: 99 18.2%
  • NO

Votes: 113 20.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 11 2.0%
PremiumAquatics.com