Asterina or something else?

Sharkattackmack

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 2, 2020
Messages
357
Reaction score
227
Location
Calgary
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was sitting on the couch this morning watching some TV and when I looked at the tank I saw this massive starfish. Chat gpt says it's an asterina but I've never seen one this big or color pattern. Any ideas?
PXL_20260103_175732811.MP.jpg
PXL_20260103_181827457.MP.jpg
PXL_20260103_181823346.MP.jpg
PXL_20260103_175138343.MP.jpg
 
Looks like one, but yeah I've never seen one quite that large. I've had a few that were 3/4" in my tank but they usually split long before they get that big. Yours might be something to keep around if it doesn't seem to be harming anything. I started taking them out of my tank after they reached plague proportions, now there's just a few of them left.
 
Looks like one, but yeah I've never seen one quite that large. I've had a few that were 3/4" in my tank but they usually split long before they get that big. Yours might be something to keep around if it doesn't seem to be harming anything. I started taking them out of my tank after they reached plague proportions, now there's just a few of them left.
I'm wonder if it's just a stan sifting one. Looks like a lot of the larger astrinas end up having more than 5 points. After looking on Google images it looks more like a sand sifter.

If that's the case it's definitely staying. Almost impossible to vacuum my sand with coral growth I have.
 
I'm wonder if it's just a stan sifting one. Looks like a lot of the larger astrinas end up having more than 5 points. After looking on Google images it looks more like a sand sifter.

If that's the case it's definitely staying. Almost impossible to vacuum my sand with coral growth I have.
Could be! Wonder where it came from if you just now saw it lol.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new