Asterina star?

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mind blowing that people think these are a positive beneficial influence on your biodiversity as they call it.
Star fish are predatory by nature and eat a lot of microfauna...including zoanthexllee in your soft coral.
D

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mind blowing that people think these are a positive beneficial influence on your biodiversity as they call it.
Star fish are predatory by nature and eat a lot of microfauna...including zoanthexllee in your soft coral.
D

Anecdotal evidence suggests they are harmless in my systems. Plus I enjoy seeing one crawl by every once in awhile. Very cool little creatures IMO.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to think the same thing till they multiplied and had consumed whatever fed them. They will sit on top of zoas. I can only share my experiences. It's your tank as is it the op's
D

InvaderJim

Chillin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an explosion of asternia in my tank in the last 4 months and I can confirm they will mow down zoa's. I have a very large colony of green paly's they haven't touched but I had a nice plug of orange zoas I moved from my frag rack to the sand bed and they almost completely decimated them overnight.

sarinaruu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i’ve seen two in my tank now, one bigger one that was missing two legs which i heard means there’s gonna be more :0 i currently am putting them in a little bag with tank water and freezing them (hope that’s the most ethical way to kill them) and then soaking them in rubbing alcohol for a few days so i can keep them as decorations or something. maybe a little morbid but at least they aren’t going to waste.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
D
Aren’t fish predatory by nature and eat microfauna? ;)

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is one.

I had dozens. Not any more.

I may be able to buy some from my LFS hopefully. Harley the Harliquin shrimp likes them.

IMG_4285.jpg

Back