Astraea snail falling and distended from shell

Resilient

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fairly new tank, about a month old, has a pair of Astraea snails, a blenny and a pair of clownfish.

The snails were doing great for about 2 weeks. But now one keeps falling off of rockwork and needs to be righted. I put it at the base of the glass, it climbed up a few inches and fell again.

It looks like it is partially detached from its shell or something, it doesn't look healthy. Wondering if a fish picked at it or if there might be something wrong with the tank that indicates a bigger issue. A photo of it being not fully in its shell is attached. Any thoughts on what might be going on would be appriciated!

PXL_20240122_071950972.MP.jpg

DJC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If those are the only fish present it would have nothing to do with them I keep similar fish with my astrea snails

I think there’s more going on in your tank
What’s all the white foamy stuff on side of your window?

And normally Astraea Snails are very active and can suction cup any surface

Perhaps attempt to contain the snail in a clear jar and get a closer look at the issue with a pic? As mine never extend out that far

OP
OP
Resilient

Resilient

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If those are the only fish present it would have nothing to do with them I keep similar fish with my astrea snails

I think there’s more going on in your tank
What’s all the white foamy stuff on side of your window?

And normally Astraea Snails are very active and can suction cup any surface

Perhaps attempt to contain the snail in a clear jar and get a closer look at the issue with a pic? As mine never extend out that far
That is a bit of an artifact from the lighting. That back wall is black and that is the hair algae is reflecting because I took the picture with a directional flashlight for lighting. It has been pretty thoroughly picked over by the blenny, it used to be a lot more evenly covered.

The 2nd snail is up at the top of this same wall and has been happily been wandering around near the top for the past week.

I moved it to a bottle, but now it is in its shell and not coming out...

Last edited:

DJC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a bit of an artifact from the lighting. That back wall is black and that is the hair algae is reflecting because I took the picture with a directional flashlight for lighting. It has been pretty thoroughly picked over by the blenny, it used to be a lot more evenly covered.

The 2nd snail is up at the top of this same wall and has been happily been wandering around near the top for the past week.

I moved it to a bottle, but now it is in its shell and not coming out...
Blennys goto love them
So the snail has extended back in?

There is another post that had a similar event with their astrea snail

How long as the issue been apparent for ?
So weird... Sorry for the dirty glass but never seen anything like this and probably won’t again.

05ECC28D-F782-4BA1-A999-9EDD4AA8270A.jpeg
Maybe check out that post also

OP
OP
Resilient

Resilient

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blennys goto love them
So the snail has extended back in?

There is another post that had a similar event with their astrea snail

How long as the issue been apparent for ?

Maybe check out that post also
I tried searching, but didn't see similar issues. I might have used the wrong terms. Ill keep looking for it.

It has been going on for 3 days now. It will fully return to its shell when disturbed, but then can't seem to hold on to things for extended period of time and seems like it is reaching out of its shell a great deal more than I have ever seen in the past couple weeks.

DJC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this online

Quote :
There is a condition where the Mantle can separate from the shell and that is hard to fix. Usually caused by a fall. If they were actually mating, a pulling away might have caused Mantle separation.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like it is partially detached from its shell or something, it doesn't look healthy.
If it's only partially detached (likely a mantle tear), then it's possible it could recover, but it is a sign of very bad health for that snail. I'd make sure it's somewhere safe, that it gets well fed (on the ground, not the walls), and that it doesn't get handled roughly - it might recover or it might die.

For when they fully pull out of their shells:
It's referred to as Mantle Collapse; the only reasons I've heard for snails dropping their shells are disease (illness, parasites, etc.), injury, and possibly somethings like toxins or environmental conditions - in almost every case I've heard of, the shell dropping off is an indication that the snail is going to die soon.

That said, I have heard that Mantle Collapse can be healed with land snails (though this is highly disputed, as people dispute if these cases were truly Mantle Collapse, or if they were cases of Mantle Tears or Puffy Mantles), but I've never heard of it being healed with aquatic snails.

The cases that I've heard of recoveries with:

Edit: Looks like the FB link failed, but here's the info of the article:
"MANTLE COLLAPSE IN SNAILS

GEORGE SEBASTIAN NEUFELD·SATURDAY, JULY 22, 2017·"

From what I've seen, these tend to be limited occurrences in our tanks, so I wouldn't expect other snails to have this issue (if they do, then you may have a serious problem). The other cases I've seen of this in saltwater snails:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 123 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back