OP
CDavmd

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While the tank progresses post cycle I took care of some minor tweaks.

- added mixed pods from Florida pets. Nice mix if copepods, amphipods, and some Isopods. Feeding once a week with a few pellets and phyto. The population is exploding.

- placed the few pieces of live rock from kpaquatics in their final locations in the aquascape.

59d450fa6bea88bf2a700a7dfb6a5d00.jpg

- used some cable raceways to organize the power cords and hide the extra length. Better than what I had with zip ties. Hides most of it and allows extra length to be hidden in the raceway. This will make cleaning easier allowing pumps, etc to placed in vinegar buckets next to the sump when needed.

18d9b7cbb11a5513713f7cd196d1b5ca.jpg

a7f2e18c5ef7364f2a9088d98e019dca.jpg

- ran two lengths of tubing down to the basement. One of them hooks up to my jumbo CO2 scrubber which in turn has its feed coming from the air pocket in my RODI holding tank. By using this moist air the media lasts much longer. The pH in 24 hours is now above 8. The other tubing is for skimmer cup drainage.

cbd0b196155b0dd9a15f1807b6559f95.jpg

8854a95ca74a6ae8d62626b925d7695e.jpg

I put a valve on the cup and connected it to this line of tubing which runs down to a 5 gallon bucket. The bucket has an apex optical level sensor near the top which will shut off the skimmer if it gets full.

5d681af262eb2321c897138920d4e799.jpg

I modified the lid on the reef octopus neck cleaner. I drilled one of the holes to make it larger and attached a subminiature float valve. I cut off the one that came with the skimmer ( it’s too big to work with the cleaner lid) and spliced the new one to the cable. Works perfectly. If the skimmer cup were ever to fill or overflow it shuts it off.

Lastly did a little sump cleanup using a barb connector to the COR inlet with tubing and used my manifold valves to redirect with flow into the socks. Allowed a quick vacuum of the post cycle debris and bits or ROX carbon that had made its way into the sump.

Now to sit back and wait a couple more months before turning on the lights and adding first clean up crew and fish.

OP
OP
CDavmd

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
picked up a Wyze Cam. Cute little 2 inch block which works perfectly to keep an eye on the sump when I am away, good video and mounts with a magnet. I think I may pick up another one to keep an eye on the frag tank in the basement and main display tank. For 25 bucks these are a steal!

f03fba900f7de658b5108a076d3bc561.jpg

780f6b1613e97c86a80951fdcaea6b2e.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
CDavmd

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0641.jpg
tank.jpg

Changed the doors on the Reefer. @JDowns put me in contact with Cronos, where he had some replacement doors made. I followed suit and for a very reasonable cost they built two tinted glass doors that work perfectly. Obscure enough during the day that only the iPad and Apex logos can be seen and at night with the red LED's on everything is seen in a very subtle manner. I'm quite happy with how they turned out.

Tanks now been post cycle with lights off for 6 weeks. Going to continue seeding with pods and get the lights on in the next 2-3 weeks. I'll start adding a couple small barnacle blennies at that point and get some algae going followed shortly by the cleanup crew.

Last edited:

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@CDavmd love the tinted glass doors. Could you give me information to get in contact with Cronos cabinet maker? I'm thinking about getting one. PM me with their email and website info please.

OP
OP
CDavmd

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two months of lights out and pod seeding complete. Pod population is massive. Turned on the lights at a low setting to get the ugly stage going.

Added the first residents to the reef.

de0128b83b800a21b314e6b49636f181.jpg

27b00b9957ce23597596a5a3a6c9a0e5.jpg

OP
OP
CDavmd

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start of moving day. I got back from a week long trip and I'm seeing Coralline starting to take hold all over the rock work. Parameters have been stable and all the fish are doing well. I started moving over frags from my old system, mainly LPS and some Zoa's. A few rock flower anemone's and my gorgonians. Lastly just a couple of hardy SPS. I'll see how these first test corals due over the next few weeks. Tanks is starting to look like the beginnings of a reef.
IMG_0667.jpg
IMG_0662.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
CDavmd

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rockwork is really starting to "coralline" up....numerous tiny purple spots starting to get larger, the light green film algae is also taking hold. My CUC is quite happy and munching. Getting a bit of a second diatom bloom mainly along the front near the glass where the light is reflected now that the lights are on. Corals all look good and fish are doing well.

Soon I'll add my second round of fish- most likely the wrasses and clowns. Later on the tangs. While I am letting things continue to evolve and mature I rented a par meter from @BRS. I took some measurements this weekend-

IMG_9329.jpg

I've set my radions to be more intense on the left where SPS will live and less so on the right where my LPS and lower light corals will be. Interestingly, I have a Neptune apex par meter and it underestimates compared to the BRS rental by close to 50-70 par.

I also picked up some frags from @ReefBum - Shout out to him, absolutely gorgeous healthy frags, well packaged and excellent communication. I will definitely be visiting his shop again in the future, I can recommend highly. Here are the pieces I picked up, loving that Oregon Tort's blue. They will settle in my frag tank for a few months while the main display matures.

fullsizeoutput_2b92.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2b96.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2b93.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2b99.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2b97.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2b94.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2b95.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2b98.jpeg

ReefBum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rockwork is really starting to "coralline" up....numerous tiny purple spots starting to get larger, the light green film algae is also taking hold. My CUC is quite happy and munching. Getting a bit of a second diatom bloom mainly along the front near the glass where the light is reflected now that the lights are on. Corals all look good and fish are doing well.

Soon I'll add my second round of fish- most likely the wrasses and clowns. Later on the tangs. While I am letting things continue to evolve and mature I rented a par meter from @BRS. I took some measurements this weekend-

IMG_9329.jpg

I've set my radions to be more intense on the left where SPS will live and less so on the right where my LPS and lower light corals will be. Interestingly, I have a Neptune apex par meter and it underestimates compared to the BRS rental by close to 50-70 par.

I also picked up some frags from @ReefBum - Shout out to him, absolutely gorgeous healthy frags, well packaged and excellent communication. I will definitely be visiting his shop again in the future, I can recommend highly. Here are the pieces I picked up, loving that Oregon Tort's blue. They will settle in my frag tank for a few months while the main display matures.

fullsizeoutput_2b92.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2b96.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2b93.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2b99.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2b97.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2b94.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2b95.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2b98.jpeg
Thanks Carlos! Looking forward to seeing the progress of the frags and your tank :)

OP
OP
CDavmd

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a 425XL. Yours is WAY nicer than mine!

Thanks! [emoji4]
...wasn’t my first rodeo. I’ve been reefing for a long long time and I took a long slow thought out path on this one.

So where’s your build thread? Always like seeing other 425’s [emoji1303]

AngryMike2016

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I appreciate the interest, but I learned from my other hobby (sports car modification) that build threads aren't really my thing; I just never keep up with them.

Here's a picture of mine though. Reef Octopus skimmer, carbon reactor, 2x AI Hydra 26. Top of rocks average 350 PAR.

aquarium.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 17.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back