OP
CDavmd

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I appreciate the interest, but I learned from my other hobby (sports car modification) that build threads aren't really my thing; I just never keep up with them.

Here's a picture of mine though. Reef Octopus skimmer, carbon reactor, 2x AI Hydra 26. Top of rocks average 350 PAR.

aquarium.jpg

Nice! Lots of sticks- will look amazing when they grow out.

OP
OP
CDavmd

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brought up a few more frags from the frag system after dipping and putting on new plugs.

Burning Banana Stylo
IMG_0744.jpg

Rasta's and some name I can't remember
IMG_0749.jpg

Blue Stag
IMG_0742.jpg

Budman's Wolverine
IMG_0743.jpg

Jedi Mind Trick Monti
IMG_0737.jpg

PC Rainbow
IMG_0741.jpg

SlimeBall
IMG_0733.jpg

Vivid's Rainbow and PC Rainbow
IMG_0734.jpg
IMG_0715.jpg

Walt Disney
IMG_0732.jpg

John Deer Lept and a Ultra Rock Flower Anemone
IMG_0702.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
CDavmd

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a full tank shot showing current status.
IMG_0764.jpg

I've moved most all my LPS/Zoa's and the few brown out SPS from my old system. All that's left are some rocks and 3 fish. Thus far the SPS frags I've moved over are alive and a couple are showing some early recovery green. I'm going to see how things go but for now and ensuing months my good colored SPS will stay safe in the frag system. I've been able to kick up the flow on the WAV's now that there is more in the tank and getting almost no sand blowing and I'm cranking 60-70X Turnover.

My rock flower anemone's that had never to my knowledge spawned in the old system decided to have babies a couple weeks ago. Most have blown to somewhere in the tank and I can't find them but these two have stayed on the rock with Mom and are starting to gain size. Love the color inheritance patterns!

IMG_0757.jpg
IMG_0752.jpg
IMG_0755.jpg

OP
OP
CDavmd

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My juvenile clowns completed their QT this week. I introduced them to the tank on Monday and kept them in an acclimation box.

All good so tonight i used the tube technique to introduce them to my Rose Bubble tip. It took about 10 minutes to get the first one into the BTA but afterwards all the rest seemed to know what to do.

Here’s a quick video-

OP
OP
CDavmd

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RIP
2006-2019
a885f621d0c4d955a9d06bf47e086325.jpg

3ca727210eb90f0bf9ce91a20823499d.jpg

The end of my old system- finished moving all the corals and livestock over to the new reef these past couple months.

Took out the rock and sand and cleaned her up a bit. Big water change and she’s ready to quarantine a few fish over the next few months before I shut her down completely.

New system continues to mature. Great coralline coverage in just 4 months. Frags and corals doing well.

eaf605b8e52728dddfd5c5c4d6142575.jpg

MikeYasin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RIP
2006-2019

The end of my old system- finished moving all the corals and livestock over to the new reef these past couple months.

Took out the rock and sand and cleaned her up a bit. Big water change and she’s ready to quarantine a few fish over the next few months before I shut her down completely.

New system continues to mature. Great coralline coverage in just 4 months. Frags and corals doing well.

That is a gorgeous tank! Love the T5 fixture idea! Depending on how my final looks, I may borrow the idea. I’d have to tank mount it, tho. My wife will kill me if I drill into her ceilings after the remod.

MikeYasin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RIP
2006-2019

Did you go with the 36” T5 fixture?

Filthybum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous tank love the way your controller is mounted. I have no room in my stand but would love a similar idea on the side of my tank. I just have a small cabinet with my controller right now, but I’m going to try to build something for it when I have time.

OP
OP
CDavmd

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous tank love the way your controller is mounted. I have no room in my stand but would love a similar idea on the side of my tank. I just have a small cabinet with my controller right now, but I’m going to try to build something for it when I have time.
Thanks! Do you have a build thread?

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found your thread. I can’t wait to get time and start reading. I glanced at the first post and now I’m drooling a bit

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sometimes when I see tanks like yours I wish I put less rock in mine. Yours seems so much more open and spacious. Looking good!

Here's my 425XL for comparison:
IMG_6627.jpg

OP
OP
CDavmd

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes when I see tanks like yours I wish I put less rock in mine. Yours seems so much more open and spacious. Looking good!

Here's my 425XL for comparison:
IMG_6627.jpg

Your tank looks great....I've followed your build from the beginning way back when....we both started roughly at the same time...mine just took forever to get to the point of water. Your scape is really cool, I remember when you first put it together....what happens is as the corals fill in we start to feel things get crowded. I've been at this game for quite a long time...my old builds use to follow the 1-2 pounds per gallon rule and honestly were simply piles of rock. Over the years I realized that the scapes were great at first and if it was a fish only system they would be perfect but later as the corals grew in and of course I continued to overstock with that " one more frag" lol- it would seem crowded. I made it a point with this build to keep my rock work low and minimal. I wanted negative space and open areas- even with all that planning I'm starting to feel crowded lol....I still have a lot of SPS frags to mount on the scape :eek:

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks great....I've followed your build from the beginning way back when....we both started roughly at the same time...mine just took forever to get to the point of water. Your scape is really cool, I remember when you first put it together....what happens is as the corals fill in we start to feel things get crowded. I've been at this game for quite a long time...my old builds use to follow the 1-2 pounds per gallon rule and honestly were simply piles of rock. Over the years I realized that the scapes were great at first and if it was a fish only system they would be perfect but later as the corals grew in and of course I continued to overstock with that " one more frag" lol- it would seem crowded. I made it a point with this build to keep my rock work low and minimal. I wanted negative space and open areas- even with all that planning I'm starting to feel crowded lol....I still have a lot of SPS frags to mount on the scape :eek:

Yes, I remember you tagging along on my build!

I think on my next tank I will compromise between the extensive rock work I did and the more minimal design you have on yours. I am definitely thinking my corals are getting crowded and I'm starting to be concerned about the rocks and larger coral colonies starting to limit the water flow from my powerheads.

I really like the look of yours. Nice job.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back