At what point is acrylic 'better' than glass?

Pickwun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acrylic weighs so much less than glass and is stronger. Imagine hitting glass with a hammer. Just one hit. The pressure would build and push all the water out. Acrylic can take much harder blows and withstand pressure from larger builds. This is why many aquariums opt for acrylic.
Why are you hitting your tank with a hammer? Is it just to make the fish jump?

Jamesmost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've had a 90 gallon acrylic tank for the last 6 years. I have one small scratch, I got that from using a Tunze Care Magnet. I thought it might work better for me in hard to reach areas, I was very cautious using it and I did make one scratch using it.
I'll continue to use cheap melamine foam to clean the acrylic. Just make sure they don't contain any additives.
Overall I'm very happy with my acrylic tank, very clear and no yellowing that I can detect.
U mean like Mr. Clean magic eraser.....

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a 90 gallon acrylic tank for the last 6 years. I have one small scratch, I got that from using a Tunze Care Magnet. I thought it might work better for me in hard to reach areas, I was very cautious using it and I did make one scratch using it.
I'll continue to use cheap melamine foam to clean the acrylic. Just make sure they don't contain any additives.
Overall I'm very happy with my acrylic tank, very clear and no yellowing that I can detect.

Mr Clean Magic Erasers work amazing. I use them on my planted 50 Gallon.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s no question glass is more common for modestly sized tanks. I do wonder how many of the folks that trudge out the typical cons have actually owned and operated an acrylic tank. There are advantages and disadvantages, most are well covered in the many threads here at R2R on the topic. For me personally, the advantages of acrylic trump glass at the very large sizes (300 and above). Also depends a bit if you’re buying or building. If I were building a very large tank I’d go plywood with a glass panel.

chiefifd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, copied post.
Yes, Mr. Clean is melamine foam. You must be careful to use the ones that don't contain any additives such as Dawn or other cleaners. I've found the generic (Mr. Clean) melamine foam pads to work great. You can tear them in 1/2 or 1/4 and make them very economical to use.

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never ,, ever ,, buy a acrylic tank ,,, other than the weight issue ,, there is no upside to buying one ,, I won't go into all the down side reasons ,, that we all know , not to buy one ,, I will just give one reason ,,

I have a friend that bought one ,, a 300 to 400 gallon acrylic tank ,, made by a top of the line tank maker ,, this was a really nice tank ,, he paid good money for it ,, he had a change in his job where he was going to have to move and sell the tank ,,

He pretty much couldn't give this tank away ,, the price was eventually marked down to less than 1/4 of what the tank cost new ,, and 3 years later ,, he still had the tank ,, and may still have it to this day ,,, I have never asked him ,,

resale value doesn’t even make the cut as far as my personal pros and cons. I assume every tank I buy is a total loss if it doesn’t work out. I am 4 years in on my current and first acrylic tank. I have always gone with low iron glass, I miss my crisp sharp photos and would say that’s my biggest downside. I heard that acrylic is more clear but I find that to be the opposite. There is something about the material that slightly washes out the colors.

I went away from glass due to weight and fear of seams bursting on a larger tank (96x30x24). I want something that’s going to last 10+ years min.

having scratched my old glass tank I was worried about scratches. Got a huge one the first year and was able to sand it out; I feel the whole scratch thing is blown out of proportion. The mighty magnet in tank sanding kit works very well and I don’t have issues. I do have to be careful cleaning the tank but it’s not that hard with the right magnets (mighty magnet with mesh bag). Even though I can sand scratches, I don’t want to be doing it all that often.

All in all, I wouldn’t have any issues going acrylic again esp since if I do get another tank it will be 1500G minimum.

NHgoalstop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for all you acrylic people out there, who makes the best acrylic tanks? I was looking at one brand but after reading reviews of the acrylic being very thing and flexing it turned me away from the company.

NHgoalstop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s no question glass is more common for modestly sized tanks. I do wonder how many of the folks that trudge out the typical cons have actually owned and operated an acrylic tank. There are advantages and disadvantages, most are well covered in the many threads here at R2R on the topic. For me personally, the advantages of acrylic trump glass at the very large sizes (300 and above). Also depends a bit if you’re buying or building. If I were building a very large tank I’d go plywood with a glass panel.
I'd love to try a plywood but dang that scares me.

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for all you acrylic people out there, who makes the best acrylic tanks? I was looking at one brand but after reading reviews of the acrylic being very thing and flexing it turned me away from the company.
Good question. Back in the day, my LFS had someone they used, but I don't recall who it was. They've been having trouble getting a good supplier now, which is why I have glass. They had just identified someone, but hadn't started using them yet.

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to try a plywood but dang that scares me.
I like an AIO tank, so when I'm ready to get a bigger tank, I'm going to look at these. No idea if they're good or not.

NHgoalstop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've thought about it, but if I do it I'm going HUUUUUUGE and I have no place for something that size.
Hopefully I'm the next year I'll be selling my house and buying a much larger one that I plan on making a better fish/gaming room. I want a larger tank now but the thought of moving one after it's been set up is forcing me to wait.

NHgoalstop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've thought about it, but if I do it I'm going HUUUUUUGE and I have no place for something that size.
I think if I were to maybe one, I'd practice by doing an above ground koi tank for my garden. That way if it fails I didn't ruin my floor.

jlts21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully I'm the next year I'll be selling my house and buying a much larger one that I plan on making a better fish/gaming room. I want a larger tank now but the thought of moving one after it's been set up is forcing me to wait.
I know the feeling, I have land that I own that once I'm ready I will build a house on and sell my current house. My house build is going to have a centerpiece tank (1,200 gallons at least!)
I think if I were to maybe one, I'd practice by doing an above ground koi tank for my garden. That way if it fails I didn't ruin my floor.
I would build it in my shop and fill it and let it sit for awhile to test it, but then comes the task of moving it. Although it wouldn't be real hard since it would not have fish, coral and rock in it. Just have to empty it but it would still be a PIA

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back