Ati icp test results in. IMO don’t look so bad so why are most my corals deflated not happy starting to show skeleton.

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not high enough to be a problem, based on my testing and experiences of lots of folks seeing those levels.
Am I correct in the fact that marinepure blocks can leach aluminum and other metals ? How and why does this happen and at what point do I decide to remove them?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Seems my mushrooms and toadstools and leatherS do fine. But these are the corals I’m least interested in so I need to figure something out
Leathers and the like are the most problematic for releasing toxins, chemical warfare.

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leathers and the like are the most problematic for releasing toxins, chemical warfare.
Hmmm maybe it’s time to go to lfs and try to trade them all in. Now that my 250 gallon system only has 1 pair of clowns and 1 small ruby red goby I should probably try to find couple new fish that won’t graze on my corals like the 3 tangs I just removed did. Any suggestions for new fish for 120 with a lot of coral frags ?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hmmm maybe it’s time to go to lfs and try to trade them all in. Now that my 250 gallon system only has 1 pair of clowns and 1 small ruby red goby I should probably try to find couple new fish that won’t graze on my corals like the 3 tangs I just removed did. Any suggestions for new fish for 120 with a lot of coral frags ?
I've never had a problem with tangs grazing on coral= I have 3.

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had a problem with tangs grazing on coral= I have 3.
I had them in my frag tank for 2 months and all day they would pick up the frags and drop them all over the tank.I eventually gave up and then had corals just kill each other that were laying on top of each other

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either way 3 large tangs in a 120 is a bit crowded. They were re homed to my 300

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only like 3 of those corals but I do have about 20+ of these

C30B5C10-DC71-4FD1-830B-815468CFC376.jpeg 9B695E07-D145-472B-AD99-A0B540117912.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have only like 3 of those corals but I do have about 20+ of these

C30B5C10-DC71-4FD1-830B-815468CFC376.jpeg 9B695E07-D145-472B-AD99-A0B540117912.jpeg
am I looking at it wrong - or are 'those' near the corals that are doing bad? (Though in the article - they pictured only 1 or 2 types - the issue can apply to all of them). it is interesting - I had a huge leather coral - we're talking 12 inches-16 inches across - could never grow other corals 'well' - (SPS/LPS) - I cut it off at the base. which was like 6 inches...Released a bunch of chemicals - but - nothing happened - did a water change - added carbon - waited a week - and corals did better. Now - 6 years later - from the place the coral was cut off (which I scrubbed) - a mini version is growing - but it is not bothering the other corals.... (yet)

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol here is a new one I’ve never read about and I’m sure will gross people out. Have you ever tasted your saltwater tank ? Well I just did. And I’ve also been snorkling in the ocean and it taste completely different. Ocean was much more salty and my tank almost taste like metal.I’m not sure what to take from any of this but figured I would just post it anyways

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
am I looking at it wrong - or are 'those' near the corals that are doing bad? (Though in the article - they pictured only 1 or 2 types - the issue can apply to all of them). it is interesting - I had a huge leather coral - we're talking 12 inches-16 inches across - could never grow other corals 'well' - (SPS/LPS) - I cut it off at the base. which was like 6 inches...Released a bunch of chemicals - but - nothing happened - did a water change - added carbon - waited a week - and corals did better. Now - 6 years later - from the place the coral was cut off (which I scrubbed) - a mini version is growing - but it is not bothering the other corals.... (yet)
Over 50% of the corals in my system are dying it is not just localized to that area. On the other side of tank is my chalice garden and has couple acan and they are all doing horrible aswell. Along with my whole frag tank in basement that is connected to system that almost every coral is dead in. Had about 25 frags of jf jack o lantern that just turned white over past week and had them for like 4-5 years

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lol here is a new one I’ve never read about and I’m sure will gross people out. Have you ever tasted your saltwater tank ? Well I just did. And I’ve also been snorkling in the ocean and it taste completely different. Ocean was much more salty and my tank almost taste like metal.I’m not sure what to take from any of this but figured I would just post it anyways
Someone just mentioned this the other day. possibly becasuse near the shore there is a lower SG? FWIW - due to potential pathogens I wouldn't do that again:):):)

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it’s worth I did make a post in local fourm to sell all my leathers besides 3 toadstool and am calling lfs to see if they can be taken for trade in

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Over 50% of the corals in my system are dying it is not just localized to that area. On the other side of tank is my chalice garden and has couple acan and they are all doing horrible aswell. Along with my whole frag tank in basement that is connected to system that almost every coral is dead in. Had about 25 frags of jf jack o lantern that just turned white over past week and had them for like 4-5 years
Right - they release toxins into the water. Like I said before (and others) - there are a lot of things it could be. I would go through the 'list' - and try to rule in or rule out those things based on the whole picture/history of the tank. Its really hard to do all of them here online - by writing.

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone just mentioned this the other day. possibly becasuse near the shore there is a lower SG? FWIW - due to potential pathogens I wouldn't do that again:):):)
Haha I knew it would go there. I don’t drink it just happen to touch water and accidentally put finger in mouth and this was what I immediately thought.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For what it’s worth I did make a post in local fourm to sell all my leathers besides 3 toadstool and am calling lfs to see if they can be taken for trade in

By the way. any chance of a coral parasite/something like that? did anything happen before the downfall started/

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right - they release toxins into the water. Like I said before (and others) - there are a lot of things it could be. I would go through the 'list' - and try to rule in or rule out those things based on the whole picture/history of the tank. Its really hard to do all of them here online - by writing.
Yes I understand

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way. any chance of a coral parasite/something like that? did anything happen before the downfall started/
I would guess no. And I do dip every single coral I get and have ever put in my system. Th is has been an on going issue of mine for years. I’m guessing I just really don’t understand the relationship between the needed nutrients and minerals. Over the years there has been times that things look great for weeks on end. Then over a few day period they just start to die. Then some how th ey bounce back over months just to die again. I’d assume it’s something I’m doing or not doing. I just wish I knew what it was

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems maybe I need a written schedule to help keep everything consistent maybe this would make thing more stable I’d assume

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back