ICP Test results and advice

JonsNano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi first off I’m not sure if this is the right place to post this so sorry if not.
I Just had the results of my first icp back and a few of the results worry me and just looking for some advice on correcting and if there should be any worry.

Little bit of a backstory but the tank has been up and running for well over a year and wasn’t a new tank as in I had to buy it/downsize :( in an emergency to rehome what was left and living from my old tank(8-9years ish) which had a seam go in the night.

The tank ran really well and was growing sps mainly montis a birds nest and a couple of acro.
My doser line clogged somehow and I slowly watched my tank melt away over the course of a couple of weeks sadly before reacting, I had become complacent as I had been in a good place with everything seemingly streamlined and running well so I had been testing monthly instead of weekly for a while, major doh but hey we live and we learn I now test weekly again and will not change that.
So I have been through what feels like quite a few months getting stability back went through most of the uglies though briefly and only effected areas of die off(yeah I like my dead skeletons ‘not‘ I’ve just not got round to a little rescape and removal) with only nitrates as my major problem parameter.
I have coral and coralline(very slow) growth again for a while now so I do feel stability is/has returned.
I have stabilised nitrates for around a month at around 30ppm ish and I am going to start upping my elimi np dose and do a 25l water change to hopefully bring it between the 10-20 range, the tank looked good at 10ppm no3 and 0.1 po4 before so similar numbers i feel comfortable with.

I decided to do an icp as I want to keep sps again and have a small acro colony on order so like a dumb butt ordered the coral before I did the test though I do have a couple of days before coral arrives lol
Now to the icp I have raised aluminium which I think must be from the small amount of po4 remover I use, I’m going to sling this and possibly replace with a very finite amount of gfo, I do have NYos phosi ex on hand and from looking at the icp it does say gfo can help right some of the wrongs but I also have iron on what seems like the upper edge of the limit can gfo actually add to this?

Im going to do a 30-40% water change and hope this helps with things but know it will most probably only help with no3.
I have tm iodine on hand but don’t know if this would be best for dosing iodine?
The metals worry me and I am going to look for things in the sump which could be causing this, are these levels really that worrisome and is my new acro just going to melt lol ?
Sorry for all the questions and screenshots but I look forward to all opinions and advice!

IMG_4013.png IMG_4014.png IMG_4015.png IMG_4016.png IMG_4017.png IMG_4018.png IMG_4019.png IMG_4020.png IMG_4021.png IMG_4022.png IMG_4023.png IMG_4024.png IMG_4025.png IMG_4026.png

OP
OP
JonsNano

JonsNano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O yeah forgot to say where on earth would lanthanum of come from I do not use and have not ever used so……..

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a good place to get an ICP interpretation.

I'm not seeing any big problems, although the aluminum is high, probably not high enough to hurt a coral.

ICP company's have a way of scaring a lot of folks, with warnings and such, but realistically i don't see a bit issue.

I'm not convinced iodine is useful for hard corals, but adding some is a fine idea.

OP
OP
JonsNano

JonsNano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a good place to get an ICP interpretation.

I'm not seeing any big problems, although the aluminum is high, probably not high enough to hurt a coral.

ICP company's have a way of scaring a lot of folks, with warnings and such, but realistically i don't see a bit issue.

I'm not convinced iodine is useful for hard corals, but adding some is a fine idea.
Thank you for your response it is greatly appreciated!
I had a feeling this might be the case you have helped ease my mind.
Cheers

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back