ATI Results and Montis

Chipper1978

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have a 3 year old SPS dominant mixed reef (130 gallons) that has been doing great until a couple of months ago when my montis started to brown out. They are all now either dead or hanging on for dear life. The odd thing is that my 20 or so acros all still look good. I am completely perplexed and so I had an ATI test done (see results below). Do you think the low iodine could be the cause? I'm tempted to start dosing it and not worry about the strontium, barium, cobalt, or zinc. Any insight based on my testing would be greatly appreciated!

Water Analysis Page 1.PNG
Water Analysis Page 2.PNG
Water Analysis Page 3.PNG

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know that the low iodine is specifically an issue with the montis, but there are benefits to all your inverts (etc.) in maintaining a level in the "green". How's your alkalinity level?

OP
OP
Chipper1978

Chipper1978

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I don't know that the low iodine is specifically an issue with the montis, but there are benefits to all your inverts (etc.) in maintaining a level in the "green". How's your alkalinity level?
8.2 per this test, which is in line with where it usually sits (dose Soda Ash).

OP
OP
Chipper1978

Chipper1978

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Daily dosing of iodine is very easy and cheap. Worth a shot to see if things turn around. Seachem Reef Iodide is found most places and a few drops a day is usually a good starting point
I just ordered this exact thing! Ha!

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just ordered this exact thing! Ha!

I dose Tropic Marin A and K elements in my 2 part. It contains Iodine (if I remember correctly) but I still daily dose iodine. About 8 drops a day or every other day. 250g system. Video and pics in my build thread.

You can likely start with 4-6 drops a day and send off another ICP in a couple weeks. See if it’s enough

OP
OP
Chipper1978

Chipper1978

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I dose Tropic Marin A and K elements in my 2 part. It contains Iodine (if I remember correctly) but I still daily dose iodine. About 8 drops a day or every other day. 250g system. Video and pics in my build thread.

You can likely start with 4-6 drops a day and send off another ICP in a couple weeks. See if it’s enough
Thank you! That's very helpful info.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 164 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back