ATI straton coil whine noise.

ablemad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone experienced issues with coil whine noise from ATI straton lights. If so, does a solution og repair exist for it?

OP
OP
A

ablemad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can add that straton sent me this mail:

During operation of Straton lights, electrical crackling or high levels of white noise may occur.
In many cases, this effect is related to so-called "coil beeping", which is inherent in the design of today's high-performance electronic products and is not a hardware defect.
Coil whine is the result of electronic components vibrating at certain frequencies when current flows through these components, resulting in an audible sound that is perceptible to the human ear.
The symptoms may be more pronounced in products with many microchips and coils and may be more noticeable when operating the product in a quiet environment.
This is not a hardware defect. The product operates within specification and within acoustic tolerance. There is no effect on the performance of the product.

How does coil beeping occur? Why does it occur? Can it be prevented?

Coil whine refers to an audible noise that can occur when an electric current flows through electromagnetic coils. While with other products the noise/beeping is drowned out by fan noise, it can be perceived as annoying, especially with fanless devices.
The cause is a physical process. Electromagnetic coils are used as inductors or transformers. When electric current flows, they begin to vibrate. At certain frequencies, these vibrations/oscillations become audible noises, which can manifest themselves as beeping/humming. This is perceived very differently from person to person and can be observed in many modern high-performance devices.
ATI Aquaristik does as much as possible to minimize the effects of coil whine in our products, but like any manufacturer, we cannot completely eliminate this phenomenon.

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonder if it happens on the Straton Pro. Mine will be here Friday. You get a lot of coil whine on computer hardware mainboards and video cards in the power phases. Nature of the beast. It's not really too audible unless you're sitting right next to it and the room is silent. I doubt I'll even hear it in my system with the water sounds.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back